Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reset to OEM and State Emissions Testing for PHEVs
I ran into a minor dealer issue today when I went in for a state inspection. The emissions logging didn’t have sufficient sample data to pass inspection, which I suspect was related to the reset sequence. I just need to drive it around for a few hours on the ICE but wanted to mention it for others. Has anyone else here with the PHEV drivetrain seen this?
This would be pretty standard yes, it's a good point for people to know. Reset to OEM, or any programming, we clear DTCs after complete (VIDA does this too).

Clearing DTCs will kick off the emissions "readiness" process. The point is to prevent anyone from simply clearing any emissions codes then getting the car inspected before an emissions code "comes back" that would cause the car to fail the OBD check. So all the internal emissions checks must be "ready" before the car can be inspected, codes read and confirmed there are no emissions codes present to pass the test.

This is a feature of every OBD compliant car in the US.
Thanks. This was kind of a unique situation because I get my sticker at the Volvo dealership and always revert to OEM if the car is going in.

It does make you realize how much these little config changes can add up though. I get why these features exist, but within the span of about 30 seconds I’ve got the seat belt chime chiding me because I didn’t buckle up fast enough, the obnoxious external speaker noise going (which sounds like worn through brake pads) and then the auto-brake activates on me because the car panics whenever I’m backing out of my garage at more than a crawl.
(02-12-2024, 09:39 PM)STWAGguy Wrote: Thanks. This was kind of a unique situation because I get my sticker at the Volvo dealership and always revert to OEM if the car is going in.

It does make you realize how much these little config changes can add up though. I get why these features exist, but within the span of about 30 seconds I’ve got the seat belt chime chiding me because I didn’t buckle up fast enough, the obnoxious external speaker noise going (which sounds like worn through brake pads) and then the auto-brake activates on me because the car panics whenever I’m backing out of my garage at more than a crawl.

I can relate, when going back to OEM, not having fogs on with high beams is the first thing I notice. These very little changes make a huge difference.