Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Connectivity OUTSIDE home Country
So, long story short: I have a US Spec 2023 XC-40 (Android Automotive) in Turkey. Volvo says that I only have data service in the US for my car, so my car doesn't have a lot of the functionality I thought I would have unless I tether via bluetooth/wifi...

HOWEVER there is a SIM card slot next to the cabin lights and I assume that there is someway to activate this? Anyone have insights?
You should be able to activate the communication feature with Orbit. However, you have another problem; Turkish Communications department blocks the international phones to local Turkish SIM cards after 3 months of usage unless the phone "imei " of the device is registered.  Same things happens even to Tablets with SIM cards.
(01-25-2024, 07:09 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: You should be able to activate the communication feature with Orbit. However, you have another problem; Turkish Communications department blocks the international phones to local Turkish SIM cards after 3 months of usage unless the phone "imei " of the device is registered.  Same things happens even to Tablets with SIM cards.

That's good news! Do you know what I would be looking for I'm the software? I'm allowed to register two devices a year for free, so I've at least got that part covered.
You can check below settings.  Once you enable the connectivity, you should be able to use your phone as AP (Wifi), or via Bluetooth. I am not familiar with Android OS system settings, mine is not Android based.   

075 THEFT NOTIFICATION
076 STOLEN VEHICLE TRACKING
077 ASSISTANCE SERVICES
147 CONNECTED SAFETY (CS)
200 Wi-Fi FUNCTIONALITY CONTROL
201 CONNECTIVITY
203 MESSAGING
218 MARKET TELEPHONE NETWORK
221 CONNECTED SERVICE BOOKING
361 SIM CARD FOR CONNECTIVITY
461 APPROVED CELLULAR STANDARDS
What do you know about getting connected when moving the car around countries IMAY2023 ;-)

I only have a passing familiarity with it. I haven't gone deeper into it mostly because it seems if Volvo doesn't allow or support it, it's not going to work anyways. If I understand correctly, there is a specific eSIM in the VCM/TCAM for VOC service. But you can set the Internet connection to tether bluetooth or WiFi in the Sensus. I'm not quite sure how that all relates. 

In the case the car is already connected to VOC and App paired to the car, it may be different if you are trying to get a "new" car you've imported from another market connected and pair it to your Volvo App.
Well,  they are all different things. 
1) Data Roaming setting under the communication settings.  Which allows the local (USA) SIM & network to work in Canada or Mexico. Same as travelling aboard with home country SIM   
a)  pre-supplied complimentary AT&T SIM card and data package  does not include data roaming. It does not even allow Sensus to be AP (Hotspot). 
b)  If you subscribe to AT&T after  complimentary package ends, you can enable the Data roaming and travel to Mexico or Canada, car will have internet but you might end up with huge bill depending on the plan you have. 

2) Not sure if VOLVOs in USA can or cannot work with T-MOBILE, MINT SIM cards although both are GSM network same as AT&T.  Volvo might have locked the modem only for AT&T sims like purchasing a network locked phone from AT&T or any other.  

3) VOC and APP does not work if SIM card is removed from the car.  I tested it. I removed the SIM card from the car. My app on the my phone could not reach the car! 
I don't know if VOC and app would continue to work after my  complimentary AT&T data package ends.  
a) VOLVO has special agreement AT&T and it would only allow VOC communications after complimentary AT&T data package ends. 
b) I will need to purchase data plan from AT&T for the cars's SIM 
c) I change the SIM to T-MOBILE or MINT both have cheaper plans and Car would accept. 

4) My car is used certificated pre-owned with complimentary VOC subscription still valid. The previous owner already had the VOC connected to their VOLVO ID. 
I called the VOLVO and they disconnected car from the previous owner's account and connected to my account. VOC subscription is tied to VIN of the CAR not to a person or any VOLVO ID account.  The same car VIN can be connected to multiple VOLVO ID accounts for example, mine and my spouse's accounts. After the complimentary VOC ended, I purchased 1 year subscription and I had to reconnect and reregister the CAR to my VOLVO ID and App on my phone.
Hello, did you manage to activate this SIM slot when I have a Volvo XC60 2023 from the USA and on call does not work
When I install the SIM card in the car, I don't find it