Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACC adaptive longer distance ?
Hi 
Does anyone know if there is a parametre to increase the distance the  ACC keeps to car in front ?

I believe it is maximum 3 sec normally and it feels too close, specially when driving in less dense traffic.
Compared to VAG cars where it is ~5 sec, it feels little too close for relaxed driving.

Seems little strange choice for Volvo that used to be for safety.

Pls, lets not start an argument thread is it close or not...
I don't understand what you are asking for. 
While driving, the distance that the ACC keeps from the car in front, is controlled from the steering wheel, you should be able to increase or decrease the bars. The distance between your car and the front of the car is measured in millimeters and not in time! Each bar represents 1 length of your car! 

If you are asking about the stopping distance from the car in front (stop & go),  again it's not measured in time, it's in millimeters and it's pre defined in the software. 
If you are asking about disengaging time of the ACC after stopping behind a car,  I never measured it but it's much more than 3 or 5 seconds.  
There are no specific settings for those but you can play around with ACC version and  ACC (Stop & Go) level settings.  

It is definetely not 1 bar = one lenght of the car, besides  it has to be dependent of the speed. Faster the speed, longer distance between the cars is needed.

The longest distance that can be selected from the buttons i have measured to be abt. 3 seconds.  Test it. Take stop watch ( mobile phone  app etc.),  follow a car with ACC on at longest setting, full bars, start the watch at known spot when car in front passes it ( trafic sign, marking on the road etc), stop the time when you pass exact same spot. Repeat with different speeds.

My question remains, can Orbit be used to program ACC so that it keeps longer distance to the car in front ? Current maximum distance that can be set from the steering wheel feels too short.

80 km/h , stopping distance is 50 m, including reaction time ( ~ 10 lenghts of car)
100km/h stopping distance is 71m, including reaction time ( ~ 14 lenghts of car)

V60 D3 AWD 2020 (Euro)
Yes, you are right, According to VOLVO 
One line represents about 1 second to the vehicle in front, 5 lines represents about 3 seconds.  

However, "it has to be dependent of the speed. Faster the speed, longer distance between the cars is needed. "  This is true regardless if it's ACC / CC or regular driving. It's the driver's responsibility to fallow the car in front with from a safe distance!  The faster you go, the longer distance driver needs to keep because of simple physics rule, "The higher the velocity, the longer distance to come to a complete stop" 
Having said that,  the safe following distance is ( speed kmph / 2 ) in meters! Meaning if a car traveling in 100kmph the safe fallowing distance is 50 meters. 

A car traveling 100kmph, goes 55.55 meters in 2 seconds.   Now, since it's impossible for a human eye to measure the distance, drivers start count apx. 2 seconds 87, 88, 89 from the moment car in front passes a mark until the driver's car reaches to the same mark which makes the safe distance!   

I have ACC on my Volvo and on VW, both of them operate the same way! 
It does not change nor adapt following distance according to set cruising speed except in traffic (stop and go mode). It's the driver's responsibility to set the correct distance according to desired  cruising speed! 

if you are going 80mph (128.748kmph) which is max ACC,  maximum 5 bars (3 seconds) distance is still within the safe following distance of 65 meters (Speed kmph / 2 in meters)  130kmph travels 108.3 meters in 3 seconds and ("Counting 2 seconds rule 72.2 meters) . 

So, what I usually do is 3 bars in the city and full bars on the highway!
I also feel that the maximum setting on Volvo vehicles is too close, especially in winter conditions where a larger following distance is preferable. Is there a way to increase the distance beyond the default settings for added safety? Now ACC is unusable in icy winter conditions which unfortunately means almost 6 months in some parts of the world.
IMAY2023  lets stick to the original question, can the time interval  ACC keeps to car in front be extended by Orbit ?

I do not follow your logic nor agree with your views on the safe distances so this would just be and agument thread, which I pleaded on first post  this not to become.
V60 D3 AWD 2020 (Euro)
I've already answered your question in my first comment! 

There are no individual settings for presetting time interval value of each bar;  for automatic increase / decrease time interval of each bar or the amount of bars according to cruising speed; 
However, As I mentioned in my first comment you can play around with 314 ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL VERSION and  023 CRUISE CONTROL levels! Maybe one of those levels increases the time interval of each bar.