Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Active Noise Control (EOE & EOR) - How to get it disabled?
Hello!

I have a small problem and hope this is the solution Smile
I work with aftermarket caraudio. My client has a 2023 XC60 T8, the car is equipped with a Harman/Kardon sound system with a subwoofer. The client wanted better bass so I installed a new sub box and amplifier.

It sounds great when the car is running on electricity, but when the engine starts, it thunders throughout the car and is unbearable.

Is it fake engine noise, or active noise cancellation that starts in conjunction with the engine and is played in the sub box?

Is it EASY to turn off the function? I have read that one should reset the software if the car is going for service at Volvo. Therefore, the customer must be able to reset/reactivate themselves.

Thank you  Big Grin
Search for: 358 active fake noise
2018 XC60 T6 R Design Polestar optimised
(Inscription seats & Rims)
(01-04-2024, 02:00 PM)djclabbe Wrote: Hello!

I have a small problem and hope this is the solution Smile
I work with aftermarket caraudio. My client has a 2023 XC60 T8, the car is equipped with a Harman/Kardon sound system with a subwoofer. The client wanted better bass so I installed a new sub box and amplifier.

It sounds great when the car is running on electricity, but when the engine starts, it thunders throughout the car and is unbearable.

Is it fake engine noise, or active noise cancellation that starts in conjunction with the engine and is played in the sub box?

Is it EASY to turn off the function? I have read that one should reset the software if the car is going for service at Volvo. Therefore, the customer must be able to reset/reactivate themselves.

Thank you  Big Grin

Is the iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2 not available for it? You/ your client would need maintain a subscription to OrBit to tweak with it.

2019 XC90 T6 R-Design
Passion Red
4C, Advanced, B&W, CF Inlays, Heated Steering Wheel/Rear, Polestar, 20s

2020 XC60 T5 Momentum
Bright Silver Metal
Advanced, HK, Multimedia, Premium, Heated Steering Wheel, 20s
(01-04-2024, 02:00 PM)djclabbe Wrote: Is it EASY to turn off the function? I have read that one should reset the software if the car is going for service at Volvo. 

I finally bit the bullet and bought the software just to turn this off EOE because of my aftermarket subwoofer and that changing:
358  ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL > 01 Without Active Noise Control

It didn't get rid of the accelerating noise coming out of the subwoofer. Played with it for a couple of hours total throughout the day taking it for small test drives but nothing worked. I'm hoping somebody has a solution because so far I've spent a lot of $ on a subwoofer (+orbit) that I can't even use.
(03-19-2024, 04:22 AM)kfunluc Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 02:00 PM)djclabbe Wrote: Is it EASY to turn off the function? I have read that one should reset the software if the car is going for service at Volvo. 

I finally bit the bullet and bought the software just to turn this off EOE because of my aftermarket subwoofer and that changing:
358  ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL > 01 Without Active Noise Control

It didn't get rid of the accelerating noise coming out of the subwoofer. Played with it for a couple of hours total throughout the day taking it for small test drives but nothing worked. I'm hoping somebody has a solution because so far I've spent a lot of $ on a subwoofer (+orbit) that I can't even use.

Hmm that sucked that it didn't work  Huh Do your car have the fake engine noise too? Maybe turn that off also?

I haven't tried to fix my customers car yet. So it would be nice to know if these 2 things solves the problem
Update: Andrew diagnosed it step by step and had me disable ANC through ECU tools and I was finally able to have my first drive in MONTHS where I could actually enjoy it again. He said he's simplifying this feature for a future update.

I was previously just using the subwoofer with the gained turned down but the drone in the subwoofer while accelerating was still apparent and was starting to drive me a bit crazy (not to mention not being able to hear the music properly which was the whole point of this).
(03-20-2024, 12:21 AM)kfunluc Wrote: Update: Andrew diagnosed it step by step and had me disable ANC through ECU tools and I was finally able to have my first drive in MONTHS where I could actually enjoy it again. He said he's simplifying this feature for a future update.

I was previously just using the subwoofer with the gained turned down but the drone in the subwoofer while accelerating was still apparent and was starting to drive me a bit crazy (not to mention not being able to hear the music properly which was the whole point of this).

Could you elaborate on the process using ECU tools? I've been struggling to get anything to work with the typical config flash process.
Does this also apply to echo during phone calls? I get a lot of complaints from people who are calling me that there is a lot of echo during a phone call. When I turn the phone volume down, it gets better but it will never go away. When using the same phone in another brand of car there is no echo at all.
hellou i have on 2020 t8 xc60 , i check the 358 and i have active both options i change only to engine sound , but not hear enithing from speakers , please help me to configurate 
harman kardon with sub sistem sound 
plss help me thanks
For others, here is the process to directly disable ANC on the IHU. I do not know why for some cars, it does not apparently disable with only config. I wouldn't know, do I hear it or not?? but the folks connecting audio equipment, well a couple have found there is still some output on some of the cars, despite the config item having it being disabled.

First, check the setting via DID read. Follow the screenshot, on the ECU Tools tab, change the Active ECU to IHU, find the EF75 DID, click "Send to ECU" to read it. As far as I can see, "0300" is the default, "take the ANC setting from config".

Now to write the ANC value to the IHU (to disable it). This is a manual command to the IHU, until I add something more user friendly, but it is easy to do. Click the "Send Cmd" button, then modify the command parameters as shown, leave the defaults and simply paste in 2EEF750000 and click OK.

You should get a return from the IHU, I don't have a screenshot handy. Anything other than "6eef75" is a failure. 

Now check the DID again, same as the first step, you should see the ANC is now in disable state:

What I found in testing, if the IHU is restarted, the ANC will go back to 0300 status. And that may re-enable the ANC if it is not "taking" the config to disable. That was on my 2019 S60. The IHU should only be restarted after a config/software flash from OrBit or VIDA, so normal usage it should stay disabled, but be aware you may need to check and disable it again at some point.

On my 2022 S60, it seems to be already disabled, 0000 even when the config has it enabled?? So I am not sure what the deal is with this, probably need to look at many more cars to make sense of it, maybe a difference in the way ANC works over the years. But you can turn it off in the IHU, if you want to turn it off...