Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice on Controlling Coolant By-Pass Valve in Cold Conditions
Greetings from Finland. When the weather is nice, it's usually cold as Perkele. 

I'm facing a challenging situation with my vehicle in our extreme winter conditions. Today, the temperature dropped to a freezing -35°C (31°F). As you might be aware, the new Euro 6 emission standards restrict the use of petrol/diesel heaters for engine heating. Consequently, while the cabin gets warm, the engine does not receive adequate heat.

My vehicle uses a coolant by-pass valve (part number 31461924) to control circulation. A mechanical workaround I've considered is removing this valve and replacing it with a Y-connector, leaving the original valve plugged in the engine bay. However, I'm curious if there's a more sophisticated solution.

Is there a way to control the behaviour of this bypass valve through the vehicle's Orbit system? This control is crucial for maintaining engine health in such cold conditions. Any advice or insights from fellow members who have navigated similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

Volvo V60 D4 2020 (Euro6)
(01-02-2024, 01:34 PM)Territorial_ Wrote: Greetings from Finland. When the weather is nice, it's usually cold as Perkele. 

I'm facing a challenging situation with my vehicle in our extreme winter conditions. Today, the temperature dropped to a freezing -35°C (31°F). As you might be aware, the new Euro 6 emission standards restrict the use of petrol/diesel heaters for engine heating. Consequently, while the cabin gets warm, the engine does not receive adequate heat.

My vehicle uses a coolant by-pass valve (part number 31461924) to control circulation. A mechanical workaround I've considered is removing this valve and replacing it with a Y-connector, leaving the original valve plugged in the engine bay. However, I'm curious if there's a more sophisticated solution.

Is there a way to control the behaviour of this bypass valve through the vehicle's Orbit system? This control is crucial for maintaining engine health in such cold conditions. Any advice or insights from fellow members who have navigated similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

Volvo V60 D4 2020 (Euro6)

Yes its possible.
Activate option 345 - 01 - Without bypass valve, and after that engine will be heated as well.
Volvo made default setting as: 02 With bypass valve, and with this setting only cabin is heated, but not engine.

cudos to: https://www.drive2.ru/l/660504673425307410/ 
(you can read his blog with google translate if needed, he tried it and it worked)
I have done this "without bypass valve" and thermometer only rises two bars after 30 minutes of heating?
Can you see numerical value somewhere?
Volvo V60 Cross Country -2019-