Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading DTC error codes
Hi everyone,

recently got Orbit to read out DTCs on the V90 CC (MY 22, 35.000 miles) I purchased two months ago:

CEM:
U1341 - Overhead Console (OHC)- Component Failures- Component internal failure
B1507 - Passenger Airbag Lamps Status- - General electrical failure
B1505 - Heating Steering Wheel- General Electrical Failures- Circuit short to battery or open

SRS:
B00135 - Restraint System Passenger Disable Indicator- Algorithm Based Failures- Event information

Reading DTCs with Vdash shows the same DTCs above and five other ones105E. For reference the previous owner had an issue with the fuse box on the battery which was replaced and the car was at regular service two weeks ago with no issues. The steering wheel heating seems to run fine despite the two error codes (B150515, B150511).

I don't have experience with DTCs so was wondering what do. Should I take the car to the dealer again to have the codes investigated and / or cleared?
Have you tried to delete them?
No I haven't tried deleting them. 

During service a total software upgrade was done, does this clear out existing DTCs?
(12-29-2023, 06:46 PM)spacey Wrote: No I haven't tried deleting them. 

During service a total software upgrade was done, does this clear out existing DTCs?

Not sure when the total upgrade is done but as far as I know it does not allow to upgrade if there are critical DTC codes like turns the control unit into red! But the upgrade itself does NOT clear any DTCs they are needed to be handled manually!
You can clear the DTC codes with Orbit and VDASH ! I noticed sometimes Orbit does not find any DTCs but VDASH does! 
If the battery is replaced, those scumbags don't even bother to reset the battery life via VIDA saving less than 10 minutes!
Thanks that's interesting. One of the them is Red in Vdash (Heating Steering wheel) but the car received at least the AAOS update to 2.13.2 (was on 2.8 before).

Do you know if there is meta data stored with DTCs like a timestamp or mileage when they occured?
From my experience, VDASH often generates DTCs, because of improper exiting certain modules… also it displays some comm errors that are completely irrelevant, and it is wise that Orbit doesn't show them…
You should try clearing DTCs and after a couple of days Re-reading them… those who are displayed at that moment are “real”
(12-31-2023, 09:58 AM)spacey Wrote: Thanks that's interesting. One of the them is Red in Vdash (Heating Steering wheel) but the car received at least the AAOS update to 2.13.2 (was on 2.8 before).

Do you know if there is meta data stored with DTCs like a timestamp or mileage when they occured?

Yes, they are stored but Orbit does not read those details! However, any decent universal diagnostic tool can give you that information! What I would suggest; clear all the DTCs with Orbit first! Then start the car and test the Steering Wheel heat function! At some time with the previous owner, the fuse might be replaced and they had not reset the codes.  Replacing a battery generates all kinds of codes and I bet no one bothers to clear them after wards.
Are you saying Orbit isn't a decent diagnostic tool?  Big Grin

Will clear the codes and see what happens. @power6 it'd be great to get any additional meta data about DTCs included in the read-out in Orbit if possible.
This is a good thread to provide some more info about DTCs. We got a couple..."quirks" of OrBit we will call them...things that are getting addressed now as we near the time when we stop calling OrBit a "beta" and it grows up into a real software, version 1.0 ;-)

Code status - DTCs are read from the car with a "mask" which defines what type of codes you read (confirmed codes, pending codes, failed tests, not yet run test, current failed test...etc) It's not adjustable with OrBit today, but it will be soon. In the process of getting ready for that, reviewing code reading, I noticed OrBit is essentially reading "pending codes" where I probably intended originally to read only "confirmed" codes. That probably explains the difference between VDash and OrBit. Initially I am going to just correct this ahead of adding the ability to control the code reading options. I think this has gone on for so long since most codes in "confirmed" status are also in "pending" status, so the overlap is large, but it's not exact, some codes are only in a single status.

Code description resolution - It seems pretty common that folks encounter the "Unable to find description..." for codes when reading with OrBit. This is something beyond just code resolution, it has to do with the databases OrBit uses to resolve codes for each module. Improving this has been on the table for some time, as I have quite a bit more info compiled that is inside the module databases that OrBit uses for reference. It is tedious work to process the data files I have for use by OrBit. I did some of this work over Holiday break at the end of December, the incidence of a code not having a description should be going down. I plan to get everything I have available currently, into OrBit by the end of Q1, so a code not having a description should be rare.

IMAY2023, when you got some time, can you send me a message at support, with any info or an example of DTC details from another tool or something? As far as I know, the actual code data does not return date and time info with the response to DTC request. For specific cases, there would be some other DID that can be read from an ECU for the last code set, last date/time a code was set, I am not aware of a universal way for that for any DTC. I can investigate, I'd like to improve code reading and add this if it is a thing!

It's not out of line to say OrBit is not the greatest diag tool ;-) 99% of customers are buying for config. I want to improve the diagnostics though, I anticipate existing and new customers are going to care about this more as keeping the cars on the road with DIY tools is becoming more important and exactly the type of thing someone who would buy a config/coding for their Volvo, would also want to do.
I had to go to the dealer for another issue and asked whether they could read out DTCs as I hadn't deleted them. 

So the service advisor pressed a key on the remote three times (I think it was the lock button) and then connects to the car using VIDA over Wifi. It looked like full VIDA on the computer, the DTCs shown were more than with Orbit but less than VDASH. There were exact timestamps available for each code, including the red / yellow / green status as you see with VDASH.

Mine were red (confirmed?) and less than two weeks old and a steering module was swapped due the DTCs under warranty. All DTCs got cleared afterwards. It was great to see how he was able to check if there were function tests for the modules or research relevant technical journals. I don't know whether all DTC meta data is available in the car but at least to linking to the TJs relevant for the found DTC would simplify troubleshooting.