Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V60 Dual-Zone to Tri-Zone Climate Control: Adding Rear Seat Air Vents?
Hi,

I'm planning to convert my car to drift wood trims and have managed to acquire a full center console that includes a touch panel for rear seat heating and air vents. My car didn't originally have air vents for the back seats. Is it possible to retrofit this new console into my car to add these features? Any advice or tips on how to proceed with this conversion would be greatly appreciated.
I recall watching a video a while back where somebody implemented a similar touch panel in their car without any air ducting and sensors. The heated seats worked, but he encountered system errors due to missing air conditioning sensors? and other components. This has me wondering about the technical challenges and potential error messages I might face during my own upgrade process.

Thanks in advance!
I've only looked at it a little bit. The ducts to the rear, inside the console would need to be added. The part that is not clear, is how the climate air distribution box up front varies. The ducts to the rear will hook up to that, I don't know what is present on the car without them, is it something you could cut and tap into the air distributor? Is there a different version of the unit wit control doors and outlets for the rear seat ducts?...it's not that clear from parts diagrams and I haven't tried to map out part numbers.
I tested this a bit tonight; I enabled 4 zone and was 100% able to adjust the front and rest independently. To be clear this was NOT using center console vents NOR was I using rear controls. I tested using the “2nd row climate” settings on the main screen.
(01-25-2024, 11:42 PM)Joe558 Wrote: I tested this a bit tonight; I enabled 4 zone and was 100% able to adjust the front and rest independently. To be clear this was NOT using center console vents NOR was I using rear controls. I tested using the “2nd row climate” settings on the main screen.

Was it actually doing anything with regard to the temperature in the rear via the existing vents? Or just changing settings on the screen with no physical effects?
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
(01-27-2024, 04:01 AM)Dougray Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 11:42 PM)Joe558 Wrote: I tested this a bit tonight; I enabled 4 zone and was 100% able to adjust the front and rest independently. To be clear this was NOT using center console vents NOR was I using rear controls. I tested using the “2nd row climate” settings on the main screen.

Was it actually doing anything with regard to the temperature in the rear via the existing vents? Or just changing settings on the screen with no physical effects?

No it definitely made a difference. I ordered rear controls to test further.
Interesting find! I’ve been watching a retrofit kit for a while on AliExpress. Unfortunately it’s $739.90 which seems a bit expensive for what it includes - Volvo XC60 XC90 S60 V60 V90 S90 rear exhaust air outlet touch screen cold air hot air air conditioning https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMgAyyE

2019 XC90 T6 R-Design
Passion Red
4C, Advanced, B&W, CF Inlays, Heated Steering Wheel/Rear, Polestar, 20s

2020 XC60 T5 Momentum
Bright Silver Metal
Advanced, HK, Multimedia, Premium, Heated Steering Wheel, 20s
Update, there is an additional outlet with blend door on the 4 zone unit. 
[Image: Kg6MTGm.jpeg][Image: My6qzh6.jpeg]
Not only that, there are also additional temperature sensors on the vents (under each of front seats & center console rear).
Do you guys happen to know where the rear humidity sensor/s are in a car with 4-zone climate? I get a DTC when I read my codes in Orbit saying I have a bad humidity sensor in the rear, but it’s been cold so I haven’t noticed if the AC is working properly out back. I have 4-zone climate from the factory. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know, there is only one HUMIDITY SENSOR (HUS) which is located behind the rear view mirror inside the cover.