Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polestar Engineered for my 2018 XC90 T6
Hi guys, I have a big doubt that both me and my brother own 2018 XC90 T6 and he subscribed to orbit and made modifications on polestar. When he did the modification I saw the following options: polestar optimisation, polestar engineered edition, polestar engineered car and polestar car. My brother chose "polestar optimisation", I don't know if this is the option that adds the most power to the engine. Also I am going to subscribe to Orbit and modify it as well, however I have seen people say that for the T6 engine, polestar on Orbit does not add HORSEPOWER, it only changes the shifting of the gearbox. If I want to add hp to the T6 I need to go to a dealer and swipe in the official polestar software. Is this true?
Orbit enables the gearbox map only. Any further optimisation is via dealer load - covering engine and AWD. 
If you want to try the gearbox mapping, which is much better than dynamic, select polestar optimised.
(09-03-2023, 07:02 PM)Gan9LLL Wrote: Hi guys, I have a big doubt that both me and my brother own 2018 XC90 T6 and he subscribed to orbit and made modifications on polestar. When he did the modification I saw the following options: polestar optimisation, polestar engineered edition, polestar engineered car and polestar car. My brother chose "polestar optimisation", I don't know if this is the option that adds the most power to the engine. Also I am going to subscribe to Orbit and modify it as well, however I have seen people say that for the T6 engine, polestar on Orbit does not add HORSEPOWER, it only changes the shifting of the gearbox. If I want to add hp to the T6 I need to go to a dealer and swipe in the official polestar software. Is this true?

First, check your VIN number here  , it will provide you the info you need. The part number and the optimization #. 
If you go to the dealer, the MRSP is about 1250$ (only software), this price is same as on VIDA if you purchase yourself.  In addition to software price the dealer is charging you for labor too but sometimes dealers do coupons or discounts. The cheapest I heard was around 900$ + labor. 

I know, the name "Polestar optimization" sounds fancy but the feeling is very different from driver to driver.  I went to my local dealer and asked for test drive before I spent 1250$. They gave a me test drive  on S60 T5 polestar. (same as mine), I compared it to my dynamic setting right after I'd driven the polestar one. I must say, the difference I felt would not worth the cost. The +HP it gives you, it's at the peak rpm, yes it holds the gears just a little bit longer. Up shifting was smoother with polestar but down shifting was smoother with stock dynamic.  (the shifting is what Orbit modifies; exactly what I felt  with the official polestar)   Second, is the gas pedal optimization (sensitivity). Polestar is more sensitive than dynamic mode. People also describe this as "responsive".
I prefer, manual shifting If I want to drive in sports mode. 

One more thing, if you modify it via Orbit, you must revert back all the modifications to stock before visiting the service or connecting official VIDA.
(09-04-2023, 05:56 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 07:02 PM)Gan9LLL Wrote: Hi guys, I have a big doubt that both me and my brother own 2018 XC90 T6 and he subscribed to orbit and made modifications on polestar. When he did the modification I saw the following options: polestar optimisation, polestar engineered edition, polestar engineered car and polestar car. My brother chose "polestar optimisation", I don't know if this is the option that adds the most power to the engine. Also I am going to subscribe to Orbit and modify it as well, however I have seen people say that for the T6 engine, polestar on Orbit does not add HORSEPOWER, it only changes the shifting of the gearbox. If I want to add hp to the T6 I need to go to a dealer and swipe in the official polestar software. Is this true?

First, check your VIN number here  , it will provide you the info you need. The part number and the optimization #. 
If you go to the dealer, the MRSP is about 1250$ (only software), this price is same as on VIDA if you purchase yourself.  In addition to software price the dealer is charging you for labor too but sometimes dealers do coupons or discounts. The cheapest I heard was around 900$ + labor. 

Polestar is not possible to load yourself via VIDA - Dealership only. 

If you're in the UK it's £555 at the moment and regularly goes down to as little as £300.

I have no idea why the US charge so much for it...
(09-04-2023, 03:29 PM)x119 Wrote:

If you're in the UK it's £555 at the moment and regularly goes down to as little as £300.

Not accurate, in US you can purchase it yourself and load it to your car as load as you register yourself as independent garage. It appears under software but it costs $1250 paid directly to VOLVO (bookstore).
(09-05-2023, 01:09 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:

Not accurate, in US you can purchase it yourself and load it to your car as load as you register yourself as independent garage. It appears under software but it costs $1250 paid directly to VOLVO (bookstore).

If you buy it.. you will be refunded a number of hours later. 

Unless you have tried it and can dispel the above it remains accurate as a number of people have tried.
(09-05-2023, 07:59 PM)x119 Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 01:09 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:

If you buy it.. you will be refunded a number of hours later. 

Unless you have tried it and can dispel the above it remains accurate as a number of people have tried.

I can, I purchased it for my friend. He had 2019 S60 T6. At that time the dealer in CA wanted $1385 including labor and tax.  I already had the VIDA subscription back in 2023 March He only paid $1250, still using it. I don't know if it has been changed since than.  FYI. polestar software part number was already showing under additional available software TAB. As I said, it all depends, how did you open your VIDA and volvo bookstore account. If you open it as volvo owner. it may be different. My account is independent mechanic. Another point. I had been told by the dealer and VOVLO private service that Pilot Assist can only be installed at the official dealer but I installed it myself after replacing the Hydraulic unit. It automatically showed the pilot assist part number under Hardware changes TAB. It reloads the whole BSM, ABS and the pilot assist with one package.
Good data point. I know others have tried, and not able to order Polestar in the US! I had been under the impression this is due to protecting the dealer revenue for the upgrade, and also as it doesn't fall under "right to repair" here so Volvo is not required to offer it. But things could have changed, maybe more than once over the years. There have been many restrictions added over time (maybe due to some people making tools and cracking PINs out of VIDA ;-)) that are not in VIDA, but in the order redirection that only volvotechinfo (consumer/indy) orders go through. You can't always order what you can see in VIDA! The big one now, being you can't order any software for a non-US/Canada VIN.

I don't think there is an actual difference in the VIDA account, other than the volvotechinfo license agreement you click through, you can click either to order VIDA sub. I've ordered new accounts either way. In the VIDA admin the account is always classed as "Independent" no matter which license agreement you agree to. 

It's also more expensive anyways in the US, you pay full price if you can order through VIDA, but the dealers can discount it, most people work some sort of discount on this, between dealers and the "coupons" for accessory discounts you can get from Volvo USA just by asking.

I've definitely been able to order other accessories, those don't seem restricted. I ordered the "Intellisafe Assist" long ago, no problem ordering, but wouldn't install since I didn't swap the hydraulic unit. good thing I got the refund on that one ;-)