Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New windshield - now having driver support errors
So I went and switched the windshield and the post calibration identified the B&W as a mismatch with the car config.

So I returned to the shop with the original HP amplifier added but I was lazy and didn’t connect the speakers.

So still the post calibration of the radar and the driver support something was degraded. Of cause it seems the driver alert alarm needs the dashboard speaker, I’m thinking

Will now connect the speakers to the amplifier and hope this will let the radar / driver support calibration finalize!?

Edit: Yes before going to the shop the car was reverted to OEM.
The car is in the shop. Technician told me it happens the calibration doesn’t go through, lately it seems to be more frequent he says.

Before leaving in the car I double checked the units in the car were aligned with the car. I could see first DTCs about missing speakers, wrong VIN number so after re-adding the original amplifier/speakers and then run restore to OEM , no more abnormal errors which can spook the trouble shooting.

Fingers crossed they get the radar calibrated.

Noted the calibration process is really stupid and requires the car to be driven on the roads , over 80 km/h with No car in front (50-60m) for at least 15 minutes on the straight well defined road (clear road markings). This is huge waste of time for a shop. Really surprised the don’t have an in shop calibration method !?
I hope they get it!

My understanding was the calibration requires you to drive specifically with a car in front!! But I am not sure I understood it correctly.

Volvo seems to like these "automatic calibraton" procedures, very similar to the 360 parking camera calibration which OrBit has. Maybe it's less prone to errors, easy for the tech to do, drive the car. The parking camera calibrations "in shop" with other mfrs are complicated with special mats to place around the car in precise locations. 

It's good for the DIY user and independent mechanic in the future, to be able to do with no special equipment, other than the mounting template for the ASDM adjustment in the case of the radar/safety cam.
(09-06-2023, 06:08 AM)HitTheRoadJack Wrote: The car is in the shop. Technician told me it happens the calibration doesn’t go through, lately it seems to be more frequent he says.

Before leaving in the car I double checked the units in the car were aligned with the car. I could see first DTCs about missing speakers, wrong VIN number so after re-adding the original amplifier/speakers and then run restore to OEM , no more abnormal errors which can spook the trouble shooting.

Fingers crossed they get the radar calibrated.

Noted the calibration process is really stupid and requires the car to be driven on the roads , over 80 km/h with No car in front (50-60m) for at least 15 minutes on the straight well defined road (clear road markings). This is huge waste of time for a shop. Really surprised the don’t have an in shop calibration method !?

What kind of windshield you have? and calibration for what? 
Couple months ago I took my s60 2019 to the dealer for the sunroof. It was making noises on one side while closing. Lucky I noticed it just before the warranty ended. (48k miles). 
Anyway, the dealer changed the whole sunroof mechanism and for that, they removed the front  windshield , ceiling cover, and some other parts. 
They did the calibration as I was told, but they did not drive the car like that at all.  I picked up the car and never had issues with anything.
Calibration is for the ADAS/Saftey sensors at the top of the windshield, calibrate the ASDM camera and radar. It's supposed to be automatic, once you verify/adjust the sensor mounting to the windshield with a physical template, then you initiate the calibration and drive the car, in some specific conditions, something like above 80km/h and you have to follow another car within a certain distance for a time, as I understand it. Similar to the 360 Parking cam calibration, a message pops up on the dash when the process is complete.
Radar isn’t calibrated yet. Dealer , different technician over the past weeks had said they’ve run a total upgrade of the software - turns out that was wrong. Last TU was a year back in 2022. This was discovered at the end of the failed replacement radar. So the TU was blocked by none factory parts. This has to be aligned of cause. The AUD has been reverted back from B&W to the original HP amp and the software had to be reinstalled to get that off the list preventing the TU.
Next one is trickier, the PSM for full power seats was registered, an upgrade I did from half powered. So that’s been spotted by VIDA. The bummer is I no longer have the original driver or passenger seat since I sold them :-( Looks like I have acquire a set and have them added so the PSM can be reinstalled :-(
Question are 1 the power seats are no longer connected to the car, can’t VIDA reinstall the PSM without the seat’s connected? 2 is there any way to bypass, trick VIDA to do a TU using Orbit?
Lessons learned is never to, do away with your original parts because you will need to add them back for a TU.
Ahhh man that is a lot of trouble yeah. We don't always know what parts are 'compatible', good to save the originals for that reason! Some you find don't matter, like the HCMs I swapped, they use the same software, VIDA sees them as compatible, so thankfully no need to swap HCMs for a TU ;-) 

The general rule is if the "diagnostic part number" is the same, modules will use the same software, and VIDA will have no problem with them. VIDA doesn't seem to care if the serial number changes, they are not enforcing that. Updates and revisions to the hardware part number are OK, as long as that diag part number is the same.

If the diagnostic part number is different on a module you swap, then VIDA will deem the modules not compatible for total upgrade or reload of that module. I know another fellow who swapped the ventilated/massage seats, required the different PSMD/PSMP, he found the same thing. We did try some tricks, since in this case, the PSMs actually seem to use the same software!! Tried disconnecting some of the connectons to the PSMs but it didn't help.

I think the only route, unfortunately, is to get a set of used PSMD/PSMP matching the original hardware parts, to plug in temporarily for TU. 

**This is one area where Volvo are kind of a pain. I understand BMW or VAG factory tools will likely load a module that would work in the car, even if it's not original fitted equipment, as long as it's a compatible configuration of equipment. But this is one area where Volvo is being strict about it, simply to discourage the behavior, not because it is truly a "problem".
Thanks for sharing. So then I’m not wrong going over the bridge to fetch water. The guy whom accumulated my seats is giving them back :-) relieved ?, he understood the situation.
So VIDA log of the unidentified PSM can’t be simply removed , scratched you say, it’s persistent!? I mean it’s a waste of time to try getting Volvo to overcome the wrong PSM?
Have a look at this.   the part number is same for all models and not like headlight controller, I don't think they have a different software from factory similarly ACC and PA are within the BSM (hydraulic unit). If Volvo installs different software version for each feature on a shared part across models, changing the config from orbit wouldn't enable the ACC / PA on a car that did not have from factory.      

The seats have air bags on the sides.  All the car manufactures blocks using an air bag from another car.  I don't know if you had switched the air bags from your original seats to the new seats when you switched the seats.  If you have not, that might be actual problem and the the seat controller unit.
You are correct, same PSM for all but the low-end seat I had didn’t have any control unit at all, the half electric are without a CAN bus connection.
The air bags here don’t come with seats purchased from the scrap yard, you switch in your own healthy bag.