Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XC40 P8 EV Battery SOH
Just wanted to see if there are other XC40 P8 users here to compare notes on the Battery SOH numbers.

I have had my P8 for over a year and driven 25000km. The Battery SOH readout in orbit was 94.55%.
(08-07-2023, 11:03 AM)pugger Wrote: Just wanted to see if there are other XC40 P8 users here to compare notes on the Battery SOH numbers.

I have had my P8 for over a year and driven 25000km. The Battery SOH readout in orbit was 94.55%.

Hello! I’ve had my XC40 Recharge (MY23, Twin Ultimate) for 3 months, and have only driven it 5,000 km so far, so this may serve as almost an upper bound (only used DC fast charge twice, never charged it to 100%, etc.). Current SOH is 98.94%.
Hi 4wheels,

Thanks for sharing. I just wonder how does Volvo determine the SOH. Would be interesting to know.
(08-07-2023, 03:13 PM)pugger Wrote: Hi 4wheels,

Thanks for sharing. I just wonder how does Volvo determine the SOH. Would be interesting to know.

I agree that’s a really good question, was wondering about the same. My guess (and it is a complete guess) is that the battery module itself has its own SOH code. Volvo simply reads it off the battery pack. But I agree knowing how exactly SOH is determined would help qualify this number - especially if we can gather a bit more in terms of stats over time.

Btw - it is great to be able to read SOH using OrBit. Car manufacturers are never too keen to share this info with consumers.
Agreed. Even when I sent my car in to the dealer for the first scheduled service after a year, I asked them about the battery health after their checks and all they answered me was that it is still in good condition without revealing any numbers.

So this function in Orbit is fantastic.
I can imagine that if Volvo or a dealer gets into numbers with customers...that can only lead to trouble for them, someone is going to be mad their car is at 98% capacity when "they just bought it!!" I can think of all sorts of ways the car owner could misinterpet the data and get themselves all worked up ;-)
speaking from some industry knowledge - usually the state of health is defined as how much capacity the battery has now as opposed to what it has at beginning of life. Sometimes there can be some estimation of the internal resistance of the cells as well to factor in. 

The normal way to judge how much capacity the battery has now is by monitoring how much the state of charge changes relative to how much charge is put into or removed from the battery (e.g., in more technical terms, correlating the SOC estimation from OCV measurements to SOC estimation from coulomb counting). Probably easiest to do this during a charge cycle since you can reliably track how many kwh you put back into the battery vs what you'd expect at beginning of life.
I have a (new to me) 2021 XC40 Recharge. It has 51k miles and SOH is 92.17%

One odd thing I noticed is that the battery charge reported in Orbit is ~3 % less than what is reported by the car. Does anyone else notice this?

When full charged the car reports 200 mile range.
Quick update on battery SOH. After just less than a year, state of health of my XC40 Recharge battery, as reported by OrBit, is about 92.5%, which I find disappointing. I only have about 15,000 km (less than 10,000 miles). Wonder if other users are able to share stats on their car (MY, months of use, mileage, battery SOH)?

Also, to answer the previous question on this thread - yes, I noticed the same thing, OrBit reports a charge level that is 3 percentage points lower than what the car reports.
adding in mine. 1 owner, 2022 P2 PP, 55,000miles in 1.5yrs 92.06%.

Charging data pulled from 50k miles.

ChargePoint 6,624.00kWh
EVgo 570.81kWh
Shell Recharge 501.78kWh
Home charging (approx 7000mi) 2,333.33kWh
Public Charging (approx 3200mi) 1,038.00kWh
Electrify America 6,599.00Kwh

Most degradation happens in the first year or two, then smooths out. in my understanding