Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Drive Modes
Hello experts! Volvo states clearly that its Stability Control system (ESC) cannot be switched off. However, some models offer an ESC Sport Mode, which allows for a "more active driving experience" (i.e. perhaps a bit more skid/fun). I own a 2023 XC40 Recharge which does not have drive modes (except for an Offroad Mode, which increases traction). The car does not allow for any kind of drifting. I suspect that the absence of a drive mode switch (physical or on the center screen) is a limitation of the Android OS, but I'd like to know if anyone on this forums has had any success activating drive modes on an Android-based Volvo (preferably a full electric XC40 Recharge).

Looking at the list of configuration items, I see that the following items seem to pertain to drive modes:

049 - Performance Mode (w/o or with)
057 - Drive Mode (w/o or with a drive mode switch)
452 - Drive Mode Switch (similar to 057?)

Playing with these settings does not seem to have any effect on my XC40 Recharge. Has anyone on this forum had more success with these?

Thanks in advance for any help!
bump (it up)
As far as we know, there is no drive mode switch support for the Android cars. 

The ESC sport mode was also dropped with the Android system. That was not a feature of the drive modes, but it's own "button" in the Sensus screen. It appeared as a typical "ESC off" looking button, but was billed as a sport mode where the threshhold of intervention is raised. I can confrim, I used it when I briefly ran my T6 S60 on a track, in sport mode the system rarely activated on track. Now that I have the 455hp T8 S60 (22.5 with Sensus) I have found the ESC sport mode gives a little leeway in wheel spin which the T8 can use on a hard launch...

I don't know if the system would theoretically still support "ESC sport" mode in the Android car, without a UI in the system to access it, it's hard to know. The software could be completely changed since they eliminated that option.

(Personally...for me, this and many more "tweaks" available only in the Sensus, is why I sought out and bought a 22.5 S60 T8, the only extended range model with Sensus.)
Thanks Power6 for confirming this. I read from several sources (including Volvo) that the 2025 MY EX40 (renamed from the XC40 Recharge) will include an optional power boost package, and importantly a "Performance" drive mode to make optimal use of the additional power. I believe they said this would also be applicable to the 2024 MY (which has the new power train). The key point I'm reading into this is, they will have to open up the Android interface to this new Performance mode. There is hope yet!