Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key coding
Is it possible to use OrBit to code an additional key on an 2017 XC90.  I thought I lost my spare a while back and the Volvo price to replace it nearly floored me.  I'm thinking of being proactive and maybe buying a key from a wrecked XC90 and code it for my car.  Can this be done?

Also, I remember reading a while back about the "Red" key options, where you could have an additional key that had limitations set like reduced speed/acceleration to give to a vallet or kids, can I code a key to behave like this?
I'm looking for the same info. My kid lost my orange key fob. Hah
Have some patience, Andrew is working on it.  Big Grin
The test version looks promising. Doesn't take that long for the final version I hope.

The only thing is, that you need the level 11 CEM pin. Now the only easy way to get it is using VIDA.
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
Very nice. I wasn't aware he was working on it.
Also keen to know if there's a rough timeline on when this might be achievable? One of the main things I need to do is get a spare key or two sorted and the Volvo dealership want silly money.
(11-11-2023, 09:59 PM)Dougray Wrote: Also keen to know if there's a rough timeline on when this might be achievable? One of the main things I need to do is get a spare key or two sorted and the Volvo dealership want silly money.

It’s achievable right now if you have you Level 11 PIN.
(11-11-2023, 09:59 PM)Dougray Wrote: Also keen to know if there's a rough timeline on when this might be achievable? One of the main things I need to do is get a spare key or two sorted and the Volvo dealership want silly money.

Thank you for the reply. I do not have that pin and suspect it would be outside my current level of knowledge to obtain it. I assume this isn't something you can just get through Vida or Orbit? Are you able to advise on process. I did a quick Google and it looks like the CEM needs to be removed?  Sorry to sound ignorant. The cheapest quote I have had for a new key is nearly £200 so just hoping I could find other options. I don't suppose I even need to code a new profile to an additional key. It would be fine if it just cloned the profile from the one I have. Again, not sure if this is feasible.
Key programming is about to drop ;-) Some preliminary info:

Key programming with OrBit is pretty simple, same as VIDA, you can "Erase all keys" and "Add a key".

There is the matter of needing that security PIN, one reason why I held up release on it until now. OrBit will be able to extract the security PIN from some cars. it depends on the model of CEM in the car. In general it will be the "newer" cars that are supported, while it's not possible on the early SPAs. OrBit will be able to tell you if the CEM is supported and offer to extract the PIN, then you can program keys.

I am working out what I can do for those with the earlier CEMs, i.e. offer a PIN Service type option. It wlll cost in that case, but also probably cheaper than having just one single key programmed at a dealer.
That is great news, since the dealer asks €450 for a new key (but I believe my car will count as "early" SPA so I guess no luck)
One remark regarding keys: you do not need to buy the new one, can be programmed the one from scrapyard. Online Vida and Smok both accepting used keys without any unlocking etc. Tested.