Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth ODBII connection
Is it possible to use a bluetooth ODBII scanner tool with OrBit for a 2017 XC90? (e.g.  OBD2 Bluetooth 3.0 Scanner, Car Diagnostic Tool OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool Vehicle Code Readers for Android : Amazon.com.au: Automotive)
Generally, no, it is not possible. 

While you are using the OBD port to connect to the car, the Volvo diagnostic connection to the car, is not using any OBD protocol. All diagnostics with VIDA, OrBit or similar full featured tool, is done via DoIP (Diagnostics Over IP). An OBD Bluetooth adapter like the one linked, doesn't do DoIP. The OBD port does support that device, but only for simple things like reading codes and data, not writing to modules or flashing or other advanced diagnostic functions that OrBit or VIDA can do.

There are some hardware devices that support DoIP over wireless. VxDiag makes one that I know of. However VxDiag have not decided to support Volvo DoIP so those that have tried it have not been able to connect to the car.
Is there any chance a WiFi  OBDII dongle could be used to communicate to the vehicle?
Nope. Needs to be DoIP per above.
For the technical folks...I tried an "Ethernet to WiFi" bridge adapter long ago...

The Volvo DoIP connection needs 2 things:
Use APIPA address in Windows (169.254.0.0/16 network) on the adapter connected to the car
No default gateway, no routing, computer and car must be on the same APIPA subnet, and broadcast packets must be passed.

That was insurmountable by the WiFi bridge. and also has been not able to be supported by the VxDiag adapter that does DoIP over bluetooth for Jag and BMW, though they could figure out how to add support for that if they wanted to.
(07-15-2023, 10:01 PM)x119 Wrote: Nope. Needs to be DoIP per above.

understood, was hoping that a WiFi version with an IP address was enough to get connected.

(07-16-2023, 06:09 PM)Power6 Wrote: For the technical folks...I tried an "Ethernet to WiFi" bridge adapter long ago...
The Volvo DoIP connection needs 2 things:
Use APIPA address in Windows (169.254.0.0/16 network) on the adapter connected to the car
No default gateway, no routing, computer and car must be on the same APIPA subnet, and broadcast packets must be passed.
That was insurmountable by the WiFi bridge. and also has been not able to be supported by the VxDiag adapter that does DoIP over bluetooth for Jag and BMW, though they could figure out how to add support for that if they wanted to.

I guess the key phrase here  (though they could figure out....if they wanted to) is the real hang-up in establishing a connection/communication from a wireless dongle (doubtful that the dongle manufacturers are really going to be that motivated to design/code/implement something that is relevant to only a small subset of end-users) 

I don't normally carry a laptop around with me anymore and was the main reason I was asking about a wireless dongle viability (10 years ago I did, had it with me almost everywhere). now I do almost everything on an android mobile device and about the only time I use windows is when I am in the office and/or I want a larger display (less squinting and/or having to zoom in due to my old fart status = eyes are slower to adjust focus) and desire a full size keyboard (due to my fat fingered typing skills on a small mobile touchscreen keyboard = lota misspelling trying to quickly type full sentences)