Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over the air Volvo update 2.9
I made some changes with Orbit a while back and now my car installed update 2.9 (EU) I didn't really think about this before but after this upgrade at least some of my settings were reverted (noticably the speed limit).

Now my question is:
- is it actually safe to run the over-the-air updates on the Volvo car if you changed settings with Orbit? Or should you always revert back to defaults before doing so?
- Do these over-the-air updates actually revert back everything to default settings always? IE if I take my car to the shop now, do I still need to restore any settings to default? 
- Is it even safe to restore to a saved default after a Volvo update since things might have changed in those settings by Volvo itself?
1 & 2: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=113

3. I’d always double check to see what’s “differences” OrBit will write, which are shown before doing so. I believe it’s fine in general though. EDIT: Seems Power6 more explicitly addressed this in the latest  software update this afternoon :-) https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=137
Generally the questions about OTA updates are answered with the links A-P posted (thanks buddy!)

I'll answer the specific questions directly here, in order:

- is it actually safe to run the over-the-air updates on the Volvo car if you changed settings with Orbit? Or should you always revert back to defaults before doing so?

It is safe. It does help to be aware, that your OrBit config changes *may* be wiped out, but other than that you can run the OTA updates without worry. 

- Do these over-the-air updates actually revert back everything to default settings always? IE if I take my car to the shop now, do I still need to restore any settings to default? 

Not always. It depends what is contained in the update. I know the 2.9 update specifically, includes a CEM software update to the "config logic" software, and that update overwrites OrBit config changes. But not every update includes that, only if there is a new version of the "config logic" released by Volvo. This is essentially Volvo performing a "Restore to OEM" on your car ;-)

- Is it even safe to restore to a saved default after a Volvo update since things might have changed in those settings by Volvo itself?

Yes it is safe. I've accounted for this, OrBit will recognize the installed software on the CEM. You can continue to use OrBit as usual.
Thanks A-P and Power6!

Went to the Volvo dealer this morning and everything seemed to be in order.. Just updated the settings again to what I wanted them to be Big Grin