Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Camera Retrofit?
Hello all!

My front grill (R-Design) on my XC60 was cracked and in searching for a replacement, I found a great deal on a used R-Design grill with the front camera cutout under the logo. I knew the logo was removable so I figured I could just swap them. But, it turns out the logo casing area on the bumper itself is slightly different due to the camera mounting area. Now I'm wondering about retrofitting the front camera.

My Orbit question concerns the settings for 154 FRONT PARKING CAMERA.

I don't have the 360 cameras (obviously) but I do have the rear camera. Is there any setting that will add just the front camera? I am not sure if just the front and rear cameras were ever an option on this vehicle. I am not interested in adding the side cameras so if I enabled the 360 settings, I assume there would be errors or just blanks views, which I would like to avoid.

Also, does anyone happen to know anything about swapping the bumper harness or direct wiring the camera? I have park assist pilot, so there is a harness in the front bumper but no extra connector for the camera. If I can get the correct harness (and change the setting with Orbit), I assume the camera will work unless there is additional wiring needed from the harness to the CEM.

Appreciate your thoughts!  

2018 XC60 R-Design T5
I have thought about this...have not touched it yet. There may be others who have looked more...

I think if you are in to do this..."in for a penny, in for a pound" as x119 might say ;-)

What I know: 360 cam cars have a "WAM" module, rear cam only cars do not have that module. I haven't looked at the wiring differences, what existing wiring may be in the car already, or how feasible it is to add that. I know there is at least a harness needed to be added fo the front cam.

And I have no idea if the system would work with adding the front cam only, not adding all the 360deg cam equipment. Both are going to need you to add the WAM module anyways. I am not aware of any OEM configuration of the SPA built with front/rear cam or available to be accessorized that way. There are some cryptic settings for parking camera but not obvious if there is a setting that covers that scenario exposed in OrBit.

On the S60 grille, the parts are "quasi swappable" between cam and no-cam. I had bought the "wrong" black edition grille and the "no-cam" version was back ordered. I was able to swap parts and make a "no-cam" all-black grille from the two grilles I had. On the S60 though, Volvo only services the entire grille as a single part. So you can't get the parts to swap just the "cam" stuff, but if you were dealing with used parts, you should be able to grab say a damaged grille and swap parts around in the badge area to get what you need.
Thanks for the reply! I believe you are right that Volvo never offered these cars with a rear + front camera only setup. It was either no camera, rear camera, or 360. I was hoping that maybe the front + rear was an option in another market that I could activate, but I don't think so. 

I did play around with the 154 FRONT PARKING CAMERA settings and none gave me an option to view a front camera. In fact, the only setting that worked at all was my original setting ("09 - Rear Parking Camera, GEN 2, always activated in reverse"). I only tried a few other Orbit settings but they either removed the camera option in Sensus altogether or greyed out the icon (and nothing would show up in reverse). I am guessing the car is looking for the WAM module, which I don't have. I tried "03 - Parking Camera 360," "04 - Front Parking Camera Accessory" and "07 - Parking Camera Preparation, Front & Rear."

Ultimately it looks like this would require a new wiring harness, the front camera w/ grill, the WAM module, and the side view cameras/associated mirror housings. Definitely not worth the effort for me, at least not right now. I mainly went down this road because of my cracked grill and I thought the camera might be an easy addition Rolleyes .

As for the grill, I was almost certain I would be able to swap the center camera part out with the non-camera portion of my old grill. But the camera mounting is mostly built into the grill itself, and does not remove with the logo. The non-camera logo has a recessed opening on the top and bottom that ends with a honeycomb piece of plastic. The camera grill has the recessed opening on the top, but the bottom has the camera mounting. I could have cut it out and made it work, but I'll just bite the bullet and buy the right one haha. 

[Image: b1MMA1r.jpg]
It depends on what swap you are doing yeah. Below is the thread on how I transferred the black edition badge from the w/camera grille to my existing w/out camera grille. I see looking at that now, you do have to use the w/out camera grille body, but the trim parts with the badge are what I swapped in order to put the black edition Volvo badge on the grille. 

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/disas...le.656613/
You need a control module and 3 cameras (both mirrors and front).
I am not sure you can use only a front camera and not 360..

Control module:
Old emblem style: 31680061
New flat emblem: 32281512

I am not sure wiring is present already...?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
@Power6 I can get a module for $185

So you think it's plug and play?

(05-01-2023, 01:25 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: @Power6 I can get a module for $185

So you think it's plug and play?

It's not that easy.  I wanted to do it too and gather the wiring diagram from VIDA by selected a VIN that has 360. 
The module has 5 connectors. 
4 of them is coming from each Camera, (Front, Rear and on the side mirrors.) 
1 of them goes to IHU
the last one is for power and LIN. Power goes to rear fuse box. 
You will need to replace your front bumper harness. The front camera wires are inside the front bumper harness but with a second connector. (see enclosed) 
Besides, if you connect only the front and rear without the sides, you will get fault messages due to missing cameras and you might even loose rear and front views too. 

Your best option, go to a junk yard, find a volvo SPA with 360 and get all (side mirrors with camera, all the available wires including inside the doors)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I already have 360 view and all cameras.

I swapped front camera and -2018 and 2019- have different modules so my 360 view is all weird and really annoying.

I am looking at shelling another $180 to swap modules IF that won't throw error codes.

Still trying got get @Power6 attention about the module swap idea on mine...

But if I get that 2019+ module maybe OP we can split cost and I send you my 2018 module...

Appreciate the offer, @BeachBoy! But I already parted ways with the front grill with the camera cut out and decided adding the cameras wasn't worth it for me.

Maybe once there is some more information out there and a how-to guide I might revisit the idea.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk