Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-japanify my Volvo
I imagine this might be a bit of a niche case, but here goes.

New Zealand takes a lot of second-hand Japanese imports, they're cheap(ish), well maintained for the most part, and allow access to models not available domestically.

I have a 2018 V90 Cross Country that is fairly well loaded with options - which is nice - but some of the features are locked to Japanese settings.

I was successfully able to change language settings with Orbit more than was possible from the menu options.
Also I was able to change the radio frequency range over to the right settings for New Zealand, and disable the TV tuner from appearing in the infotainment system (it doesn't work outside of Japan anyway)

I have been unable to turn off the Electronic Toll Card hardware. I thought option 205: DSRC unit would control this, but setting it to 01 Without, or 03 DSRC unit without ETC card reader did nothing. Every engine start plays a message familiar to owners of Japanese cars in NZ; "No ETC card is inserted".

I was also unable to get the wireless connection working - tried all combinations of 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but no success. Using another ODB software suggested that perhaps the whole wireless unit was dead, but I'm not sure. Oddly I was also unable to disable the AM radio.

The biggest issue remaining for me is getting the navigation system working in NZ, thinking that a GPS is a GPS is a GPS. However I can't see any obvious settings to change that region. I can turn it on and off via option 190, or 223, but without the wireless working even the internet map doesn't work. Reading many forums would suggest is that the GPS hardware for Japanese models is unique, but I don't know much beyond that. 

Additionally when using Apple Carplay for navigation - which is fine, though I'd love to get the directions in the driver display - my GPS positioning is slightly off, which I am blaming on the Japan GPS hardware, and this messes up routing. Reading forums on Volvo GPS issues has troubleshooting tips that I have tried - including setting the clock via GPS (clock now set to Japan time) and resetting the IHU via battery disconnect. Neither has fixed this. 

Summarising, will I need to buy replacement hardware to have working 'Sensus' Navigation in NZ, and is that hardware something Orbit can help configure?
My last resort now is one of those Android AI boxes that provide android and wireless carplay as they have integrated GPS in them.  

Also, I'll be happy to provide ROW settings for some of the queries on park assist, lighting, cruise control if any one is interested.
following..
my car is at Volvo here in Ireland and they are checking regarding changing the region..but most likely not possible

https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread...ight=japan
sadly no updates..
so..technician said they should be possible to do a market change via vida, but it would be 500€ and not 100% that volvo accepts it.. so not worth it to me for mostly maps..
This is in contrast to their master tech who told me 5 months ago that it would be absolutely not possible..hmm.

So currently waiting to purchase orbit if I can a) make the region change myself b) this fixes the nav system (seeing the same gps issues with wireless carplay myself as above..) and as my car doesn't have a full service pack any more I will be doing all the service myself anyways..not really any new software coming for the sensus models..