Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How does OrBit config affect OTA updates? Will my car get blocked?
Based on this post, it sounds like if im coming from 2.14.4 to 3.1.9 via OTA, I shouldn't need to flash back to stock right? I just want to make sure because i was under the impression I should revert to OEM when I receive the OTA notification.

This actually happened on Friday. I got the notification OTA was available, I quickly flashed to stock, and my OTA has disappeared. I waited some time and it didn't return. I reverted to the changes I needed for different tire size, pixel LEDs, etc and still have yet to receive an OTA notification again. I am worried I will have to send the car in for service for the next update now.

If its ok coming from 2.x.x to 3.x.x via OTA to not restore, I will just leave the car as is and do the OTA as soon as I get the next notification and then flash my settings on top of the OTA immediately following completion. I just want to make sure that's okay with the state of the 3.x.x updates causing issues for some.
(07-15-2024, 04:54 PM)nmarrufo Wrote: Based on this post, it sounds like if im coming from 2.14.4 to 3.1.9 via OTA, I shouldn't need to flash back to stock right? I just want to make sure because i was under the impression I should revert to OEM when I receive the OTA notification.

This actually happened on Friday. I got the notification OTA was available, I quickly flashed to stock, and my OTA has disappeared. I waited some time and it didn't return. I reverted to the changes I needed for different tire size, pixel LEDs, etc and still have yet to receive an OTA notification again. I am worried I will have to send the car in for service for the next update now.

If its ok coming from 2.x.x to 3.x.x via OTA to not restore, I will just leave the car as is and do the OTA as soon as I get the next notification and then flash my settings on top of the OTA immediately following completion. I just want to make sure that's okay with the state of the 3.x.x updates causing issues for some.

Historically, the reccomendation has been to Restore to OEM before updating. The reason I reccomend that is, while it is not a problem to simply update the car without Restore to OEM, it is a slightly "cleaner" process to restore it. It's cleaner because: Some OTA updates will update the CEM and overwrite your config. That's usually fine, but some settings (like enable PA/ACC) when reverted/changed will cause error messages on the dash until the ABS Config is cleared, which OrBit normally handles when you change these settings. As a user you would just need to be aware, you want to re-apply your settings right after an OTA update and that would be fine. 

BUT I recognize some problems with that: (and I think this may answer your questions!)

Programming on the car (Write a config, or Restore to OEM) will cancel any pending OTA update. - This is why you saw the update disappear after Restore to OEM. It will come back, the car will need to re-download and re-queue the update, and you will see the notification again. OrBit triggers the OTA update to be cancelled, as this is what VIDA does, so it's the factory method. I am reconsidering this, as writing a config, does not change the software in the car. VIDA cancels the update, because a software install may update some software in the car that then makes the OTA update content invalid. This is not the case with OrBit writing a config or restoring, we don't load any new updated software to the car other than a small bit of software to the CEM, so it should be safe to preserve the OTA update. 

Currently I am seeing if OrBit can detect if an OTA update is queued, then preserve it (don't cancel it in programming) when you Restore to OEM so you can then update right away. I may also just remove the OTA update cancelling altogether, it could be moved to a "button" or such if a user does need it, outside of the programming process. I am working through all the edge cases to decide if that is the best way to handle it.

In your case, I would wait for the update to show up again, and just go ahead and install it. Then check and re-set your configs if needed after the install. For you, updating directly from a 2.x version to 3.1.9 bypasses any of the potential problems with the earlier 3.x releases, so you won't have to deal with any of that!
Just went through this. I just upgraded from 2.x to 3.1.9 via OTA (AAOS) without restoring to OEM and after a bit I got the "Stop safely Brake Failure" warning so it does seem like the CEM was updated and the ABS warnings popped up. I'll reflash my settings and let the tool clear the warnings and report back here.
MY22 XC60 PHEV (Extended range)