Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How does OrBit config affect OTA updates? Will my car get blocked?
Questions come up from time to time, on how OrBit config interacts with OTA updates, and if your car can get blocked. The safest advice has been to "Restore OEM" before accepting an OTA update. That is always the safest thing to do.

We now have enough acquired knowledge to give a better idea of how these things play together. Note always there is a disclaimer that Volvo can change anything at any time without consulting me, this is just to the best of our knowledge currently (May 2023)

Sensus: Sensus updates are only maps and Sensus apps updated OTA. There is no worry of OrBit config being present when you accept updates. Sensus app updates do update the software list in VIDA for the car, with the part numbers of the updated app(s) but no config is sent up or compared.

Android: OTA updates are more extensive here covering the AAOS system and flashing some modules. Like Sensus it has been found there is no worry of OrBit configs being present when an OTA update is accepted and installed. Config is not sent up or compared in the OTA update process. However modules can be flashed as part of an OTA update, including the CEM so *note*: running an OTA update, sometimes includes a flash of config files to the CEM, which can wipe out any OrBit configs. You can use OrBit to change config items back to the settings you like of course. Just be aware that running an OTA update may wipe the OrBit configs until you set them again. The effect of an OTA update wiping OrBit config is exactly what happens when you run "Restore OEM" process in Orbit.

This does not apply to updates installed through VIDA!(Not OTA) Always "Restore OEM" before the car is connected to VIDA, if at all possible.
Thanks for the clarification, I’ve been putting off updating my Spotify app on the car until I can do a rollback, but now I’ll probably just take the risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you should be fine, I just updated that the other day. I was updating Sensus maps and apps even back when my car was blocked ;-)
(05-18-2023, 10:35 PM)ToeJam85 Wrote: Thanks for the clarification, I’ve been putting off updating my Spotify app on the car until I can do a rollback, but now I’ll probably just take the risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apps, maps updating not related to modified config, so you can update it anytime, only what can cause troubles is when updating throught VIDA online at Volvo dealers, then Vida online compare OEM stored on their servers vs one in car, and if see modification based on variant ids can block car, but Orbit not do such way changes config, but as Power6 suggested, before VIDA online updates better do restore OEM.
Has anyone actually had their car serviced at a Volvo dealer without restoring to OEM?
(03-01-2024, 07:01 AM)Orman Wrote: Has anyone actually had their car serviced at a Volvo dealer without restoring to OEM?

Yes, we did the experimenting for you before OrBit was born... it'll be blocked from connection to VIDA until you have restored, submitted ticket to Volvo and then connect again to VIDA to be verified as restored.

(03-01-2024, 07:01 AM)Orman Wrote: Has anyone actually had their car serviced at a Volvo dealer without restoring to OEM?

(03-01-2024, 10:07 AM)x119 Wrote:

Yes, we did the experimenting for you before OrBit was born... it'll be blocked from connection to VIDA until you have restored, submitted ticket to Volvo and then connect again to VIDA to be verified as restored.

Hm, so it’s basically confirmed then that most likely your car is getting blocked if not reverted to OEM config beforehand? Because everywhere it says that it should not be detectable by VIDA, just that it’s good practice to restore beforehand anyway.
(03-01-2024, 11:05 AM)Orman Wrote:

(03-01-2024, 10:07 AM)x119 Wrote:

Hm, so it’s basically confirmed then that most likely your car is getting blocked if not reverted to OEM config beforehand? Because everywhere it says that it should not be detectable by VIDA, just that it’s good practice to restore beforehand anyway.

STRIKE THAT FROM THE RECORD!! I'll go smack x119 for you ;-)

Volvo does not currently block cars with config from OrBit. It works differently from other Volvo config software on the market, which DOES result in the car getting blocked.

You can visit the dealer, connect to VIDA etc. with the OrBit config changes. The best practice is, if you can, Restore to OEM in OrBit before a dealer visit. That avoids any possible issues. volvo could someday figure it out, to start blocking cars based in the configs modified with OrBit. I am sure they would like to get that done. So better to avoid any trouble. But as it is now, if it does happen, the car is connected to VIDA with the OrBit modified config, there is no problem.

Note: We got a big enough user base, that when something changes, we should know about it. I am always working on something of course, have connected my car recently to VIDA with modified config (via OrBit) it's well known at this time, it is not a problem.
We have a long thread about this here: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=125

Basically, what happens if I'm stranded, towed and they connect VIDA without me reverting to OEM. The answer is... nothing.
Has anyone dug in to all the settings (or even possibilities) of turning off all autonomous Volvo access to the car, so it only connects back when I am notified and grant permission?

I am a privacy nerd, and a general nerd, so I want control when somebody wants data from me, and I don't want systems updates until I understand what they do and have approved them.

It doesn't need to stop the dealership from accessing anything or connecting it back to Volvo if I take it to them for service, I just want to control it while it is my possession.  

I bought the car well out of warranty, and I didn't renew the remote start subscription (too expensive for what it was), so I don't have any need for them to be up in my business or messing with my car without my permission.