Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Mode Selector
Looks like there are some values that may be related to the Drive Mode selector, what are the odds that anyone happens to know if I can retrofit a Drive Mode selector switch either in the center console where the wheel goes in pre-2022 models.

I'm hoping that it's pre-wired and I can just buy the switch and enable some settings with OrBit and get it working...
2022 XC90 T8 Inscription (USDM)
(02-07-2023, 10:59 PM)apollodome Wrote: Looks like there are some values that may be related to the Drive Mode selector, what are the odds that anyone happens to know if I can retrofit a Drive Mode selector switch either in the center console where the wheel goes in pre-2022 models.

I'm hoping that it's pre-wired and I can just buy the switch and enable some settings with OrBit and get it working...

One user zen_sonething has done exactly that on his car.
He only had to activate in OrBit. See his thread on swedespeed (he should copy it here)
But I think he had a pre 2022 model. From 2022 at least on xc60 there is no mode selector any more
XC60 B4 2022 Momentum pro - Pilot assist and Polestar mode with Orbit
I have done this retrofit on my car S90/2019, but before to purchase Orbit, i change config manually in CEM flash.
All wires are there, just plug, config and play.
I think there is not a way to do for the Android based car... unless someone were to try plugging in and change the config, but some of us are guessing the "code" is not in the IHU that responds to the drive mode selector, since it was removed before the Android IHU hit the market.
These replies are promising! After looking at the pictures of the switch assembly (engine start/stop knob, brake hold, p-brake, drive mode switch), looks like it's just a single assembly with a single plug.

I haven't seen a schematic to know for sure yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the switch functions are converted to digital and sent down the plug via LIN or something like that--and if that's true and there's precedent to this working on pre-2022 models, I have a good feeling that it would work in my case as well.

My 2022 XC90 is still Sensus I'd think the logic would still be available in software despite it never having been an option on Android Automotive models--maybe they just took the switch out of Sensus cars to have a uniform production run across all models, I'm hopeful at least.

As much as I went to give this a shot and try it though, I think I'll end up waiting until I'm out of factory warranty. I'm fairly confident (even if naively so) in my abilities to install the switch and flip the bits and be able to undo it all before taking in for service, but from zen_speedsters post it seems like swapping the switch requires removal of the passenger seat and center console. I'm sure I could knock that out in under a couple of hours, that's still 4 hours of work for each service appointment.

I'm due for service in less than 4k miles and will probably go in before that to have the HVCH fixed so I'll at least have to wait until that's dealt with. Otherwise I think the dealership might notice the switch, even if I revert the CEM  Big Grin.
You are correct, the Start Switch unit, uses LIN communication.
I have the SPA and CMA 2023 wiring diagram in pdf if that would help? 

I also want to do this retrofit. I have tried to do it on a 2023 car with no luck, but I used v-dash when I tried that...
AFAIK You would not have to swap the switch at service just tell orbit to go back to OEM so switch not working like it wasn't there.

Same for people with paddles they just revet to OEM but the paddles stay on

Same for the ones that upgraded sound or lights etc.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Maybe I'm giving the dealer techs too much credit by assuming they'd notice the drive mode switch on an XC90 that shouldn't have one or that they'd try it during a check in/out functionality test and notice it didn't work...