Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown/emergency service from Volvo no access to orbit
I am strongly considering purchasing orbit. Seems like much to explore and experiment with. My only concern is that if you need emergency service from Volvo with no access to Orbit you may have issues with them. Is this correct? Would I have to find a way to change config back to OEM before being towed to a Volvo dealer? Don't mean to play devil's advocate but I do have a 10 yr extended warranty. Don't want to run afoul of Volvo just yet as they will be doing most all repair work. Looking forward to experimenting with Orbit but looking for some sort of assurance also. Thanks.
It is a possibility but even if you get blocked you can get it unblocked afterwards (at least for now)

You can get your car towed and go to the dealer flash stock config before they perform vida connection. I keep my odb cable in the glovebox so I can in theory flash back on anyone's laptop if really needed.

I believe OEM setup is on the server is that correct @Power6? Otherwise you need to have a small post it with your chances to swap them back if you have a borrowed laptop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I also tought about this. My concern would be if I get into an accident that is not my fault but I would have ACC on or something. They would test the car and see that it was used but not available and would get me into trouble
Hope this never happens
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
Ok, understood. I would be surprised if @power6 wasn't already working on a mobile app with bt connectivity to an elm style obd2.    Wink
(05-28-2023, 03:11 PM)Dodd Wrote: Ok, understood. I would be surprised if @power6 wasn't already working on a mobile app with bt connectivity to an elm style obd2.    Wink

That would be amazing
But another issue would be comunication feom the module. If something brakes and/or accident and the module is unresponsive, you won't be able to make any configuration changes.
2 days ago I installed backup camera and before taking apart half a car I wanted to try it by connecting it to the IHU only. At the same time, both bumpers were off cause I had some elements to paint so no fog lights, parking sensors and BLISS was connected to the car and I couldn't access the configuration list to activate the camera
(05-29-2023, 10:33 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(05-28-2023, 03:11 PM)Dodd Wrote: Ok, understood. I would be surprised if @power6 wasn't already working on a mobile app with bt connectivity to an elm style obd2.    Wink

That would be amazing
But another issue would be comunication feom the module. If something brakes and/or accident and the module is unresponsive, you won't be able to make any configuration changes.
2 days ago I installed backup camera and before taking apart half a car I wanted to try it by connecting it to the IHU only. At the same time, both bumpers were off cause I had some elements to paint so no fog lights, parking sensors and BLISS was connected to the car and I couldn't access the configuration list to activate the camera

Nah, the CEM is always available. If not, even Volvo can't even read out the CEM and the config. So it should not be a big of a deal.
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
(05-29-2023, 04:47 PM)TweakeNL Wrote:
(05-29-2023, 10:33 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:

That would be amazing

Nah, the CEM is always available. If not, even Volvo can't even read out the CEM and the config. So it should not be a big of a deal.
As I said, I coudn't get anything done without installing everything so...
Currently the "emergency service" process is:
  • Let the dealer take the car

That's it. Currently Volvo does not block cars, from configuration changes made by OrBit. This is due to the way OrBit works, it doesn't change the "variant codes" of the car, and that is what Volvo is looking at to see if it has been modified. 

The reason why I always reccomend "Restore to OEM", is we don't want to give Volvo a reason to start looking for those changes. And there are also some quirks, unlikely as they are, that could be found leaving the config changes when you go to the dealer. Or maybe the Tech is losing his mind when you have menu options the car shouldn't have ;-) So it's best to avoid the whole situation.

But if you are stuck, you can just bring the car in. Most likely nothing will come of it. 

*****That's the end of that

Even blocking is not the end of the world, if it does eventually come to that. Volvo doesn't like config changes. They block the car from loading software if it's modified, and then make you go through their process to get unblocked. I've been through it, it's a bit of a pain but ultimately they are just checking the car, make sure it is original and then unblock. I have changed my stance on this, they are being pretty reasonable. They don't want to support taking cars "out of spec" and any non-official accessories/configurations. 

My story was getting the car unblocked last month (from long ago before OrBit!) and the dealer fixed an issue under warranty in the same visit. I have not heard Volvo is doing anything more than "blocking" like "voiding warranties" and other scenarios one could make up in their mind ;-) But this is an open thread so anyone that has a bad outcome, feel free to share!
(06-04-2023, 09:31 PM)Power6 Wrote: Currently the "emergency service" process is:

That's it. Currently Volvo does not block cars, from configuration changes made by OrBit. This is due to the way OrBit works, it doesn't change the "variant codes" of the car, and that is what Volvo is looking at to see if it has been modified. 

The reason why I always reccomend "Restore to OEM", is we don't want to give Volvo a reason to start looking for those changes. And there are also some quirks, unlikely as they are, that could be found leaving the config changes when you go to the dealer. Or maybe the Tech is losing his mind when you have menu options the car shouldn't have ;-) So it's best to avoid the whole situation.

But if you are stuck, you can just bring the car in. Most likely nothing will come of it. 

Even blocking is not the end of the world, if it does eventually come to that. Volvo doesn't like config changes. They block the car from loading software if it's modified, and then make you go through their process to get unblocked. I've been through it, it's a bit of a pain but ultimately they are just checking the car, make sure it is original and then unblock. I have changed my stance on this, they are being pretty reasonable. They don't want to support taking cars "out of spec" and any non-official accessories/configurations. 

My story was getting the car unblocked last month (from long ago before OrBit!) and the dealer fixed an issue under warranty in the same visit. I have not heard Volvo is doing anything more than "blocking" like "voiding warranties" and other scenarios one could make up in their mind ;-) But this is an open thread so anyone that has a bad outcome, feel free to share!

I really don't know how EU Volvo handles this configuration. Maybe they don't care or don't know
Audi, Bmw never had an issue with changing things. Sweden has to be different...
(06-05-2023, 09:30 PM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:31 PM)Power6 Wrote: Currently the "emergency service" process is:

I really don't know how EU Volvo handles this configuration. Maybe they don't care or don't know
Audi, Bmw never had an issue with changing things. Sweden has to be different...
Hum are you sure about that? I have heard horror stories but that might have been only for jb4 and other tunes

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk