Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XC40 Recharge interior lights retrofit
(07-13-2024, 03:08 PM)iGeorge3 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a MY24 XC40 recharge P5 for almost a year now and simply loving it!

My only "complaint" about it is that because of the urgency to get a new car (previous diesel Peugeot broke down unfortunately) I had to get what was available and for a cheap price. Therefore, the "Essential" trim was offered to me, which is basically the bare minimum of the XC40 (not even back up camera or front parking sensors ?).
Now, coming from a Peugeot which I had previously upgraded by myself (thanks Covid free time!) to be absolutely all options, including options from abroad that Peugeot didn't offer in France (crazy marketing, but yeah), it was a bit of a "shock" to go to almost no options.

Now, my project, and this thread will be specifically for that:
Retrofitting interior mood lights
  • Front door card lights - including the ones at the bottom when door is open, the door pocket, and the door trim
  • Central tunnel - including the one for the wireless charger, the armrest, and I'd perhaps try to do something custom for the cupholders
  • Rear door card lights - I believe they basically had no mood light, but I think it's a pity that the front has all these lights and the back doesn't have anything, so I'll be doing something about that
  • Trunk lid - there's a spot for a light on the trunk lid to have some light on the ground when the lid is open, but it's blanked out and there is a connector behind which doesn't have any power to it
  • Door handles - these have lights with the keyless entry
  • Rear seats light - ongoing, already got everything needed, just need to cut a hole in the roof liner and push wires through to the front light

Now, here are my questions, because in order to do this "small" project, I need some information
  • Does anyone know where I can basically find all the electrical drawings for this? I was able to find this thread: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=455
    The issue with this drawing is that it's very generic and it doesn't really show me exactly all the wires, how they go through the car and where each connector or interconnection is. For example, for Peugeot, some people managed to crack the manufacturer software and this one has lots of details: if I click on a connector of the drawing I have a detail of each pin, what kind of electrical signal goes through it and where it goes to upstream and downstream.
    I have tried removing the door cards to inspect, and unfortunately, there are no connectors waiting to be used, however, I did see the door control module next to the wiper motor which I believe does all the job for the lights in the doors.
  • I did find an unused white connector at the level of the wireless charger (next to the 12V plug) which I think is for the mood lighting around the wireless charger. Can anyone confirm this?
    However, there is no power to it, I believe because my car has the setting for "MID" instead of "HIGH" in the mood lighting
  • Does anyone know where I might find the other unused connectors, if they are present?

Finally, for the hardware part, I can deal with it quite easily: I have 3 3D printers (yes, 3 of them, that's not a typo) and a 3D scanner which will be very helpful in designing many of the missing mood lighting features as well as custom features.

Thank you everyone!
The wiring diagrams does show the signal type and the connector number and the pin number. The power, LIN and CAN are on separate pages. But yes, it won't show the location of the connectors. You just need to fallow the wiring from the controller / light.  
TIP: search for the module names, connector numbers. It should find the relevant pages.  

For the wireless charger.  On XC40 it is on the same LIN as the Airborn particulate sensor (under the climate unit next to the inside cabin air filter). The middle pin on the sensor.  Even if you replace the whole center console with the new wiring of it,  on the car's main harness connector " where the center console harness connects" most likely you don't have the corresponding power and LIN  PINs and wiring.    

Regarding the lights on the door. 
They are all controlled by the door control module. In most cases, the inner harness on the door has the wiring but not on the trim harness. You will need to replace the door trim panel harness anyway for the lights.  

Door handles with the lights.  They are are also controlled by the door module but not sure if the connectors and wiring exists on your door's inner harness.

Messages In This Thread
RE: XC40 Recharge interior lights retrofit - by IMAY2023 - 07-13-2024, 08:06 PM