Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie - Unable To Connect Car To OrBit
(01-11-2024, 08:56 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 03:11 AM)SashaSolitaire Wrote: Figured out that I needed to turn the firewall off for my first computer to connect. Not too happy about that, but what I did was to first start OrBit, get the validation code, and then disconnect from the internet completely, turn the firewall off and then hook up the OBDII. OrBit then connected with the car. To clarify, I only have Windows Defender firewall on and checked to make sure that orbitrun.exe had access to both private and public networks on the "Inbound" side

It's not inbound, it's outbound.  From Orbit (PC) > (outbound) CAR! When you connect the OBDII, the network is public "undefined" 
You can also create a firewall outbound rule in advance settings just select program and enter "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\OrBitRun.exe"  Allow it for all "Public, private and domain.

It's actually INBOUND that is needed. Windows Defender by default does not limit any outbound connections. It can be configured that way and you would definitely need to allow outbound connections for OrBitRun.exe if that is the case. But it's not very typical to do that since it's not the default.

The inbound allow is needed since OrBit needs to "listen" for the car to find it, which is an incoming connection hence blocked by default with the Defender firewall (or any firewall for that matter)

The general troubleshooting for that is here https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=53, it details creating a firewall exception if Windows did not prompt you initially to allow the inbound connections. It may be worth checking that over. Disabling the firewall of course will solve the problem, and it is a great troubleshooting test to confirm that is the issue, but the correct exception should do the trick.

The next version of OrBit installer will require admin rights and just create the firewall exception for you on install, to avoid the issue altogether. The Windows "allow this...?" pop-up that creates the exception for you hasn't been reliable enough, occasionally as we have here, the exception doesn't get created. The update is already up at  OrBit installer I have not flipped the update notification switch yet but you are welcome to install the update to version 0.9.7 and it should magically fix things for you, as another way to solve the problem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newbie - Unable To Connect Car To OrBit - by Power6 - 01-11-2024, 04:56 PM