Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
(09-24-2023, 06:20 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I don't remember the exact years / models but Volvo had a front radar on the grill for acc.  With intelliSafe launch, volvo replaced the radar with camera under the rear view mirror both for lane keep assist and ACC/ PA  "shooting 2 birds with 1 stone"  

This actually has brought exactly the limitation we are all mentioning. " Camera does not recognize the changes fast enough like the front radar therefore cannot react on it" 

I'll give another example. 
Many times on the road while ACC was following the car normally according to set distance, the car in front of me, pulls over or changes lane (to right or left wouldn't matter) for any reason.  The car icon on ACC display disappears thinking the road is free and my car accelerates although there is another car in front of me.  The problem is camera locked on the previous car that changed the lane and it takes time to lock on the second car. Many times especially in city, I have to hit the brakes my self because drivers always move to more free lane when approaching to traffic lights.  Well, we all do it, and many times we do it suddenly. 

The only mitigation I found for this, increase the following distance to max, it's annoying in the city traffic 40mph but that would give enough time to Camera to lock on the second car.  

I think this is exactly why, volvo returned the front radar with 2023 models.

My fathers Insignia does the same when the car in front switches lane but I can tell you that mine picks up faster than his Opel, and also his car has problem detecting the cars one the other lanes as well. His trying to accelerate when switching lane (sometimes) but the Volvo never if he sees another car in those lane
But yes, on highway (especially Germany where I drive quite fast) I keep the distance to max and in the city to the 2nd level but ALWAYS paying attention and getting ready to take over the brakes
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control - by marinalin85 - 09-24-2023, 05:48 PM
RE: Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control - by ElHeavy1987 - 02-04-2024, 06:31 PM
RE: Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control - by ElHeavy1987 - 02-05-2024, 09:34 AM