Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DIY CEM (and VGM) PIN Retrieval for Volvo and Polestar
(07-09-2023, 09:25 AM)ravvam Wrote:
(07-06-2023, 04:40 PM)Power6 Wrote: FYI I am currently "piloting" PIN Service for Polestar models. If it works well, I could add this to the offerings same as Volvo models. So if anyone wants to get Polestar PINs, let me know ;-)

Hi Power6. Thank you for all the amazing work you’ve done!
Just so I understand, I should be purchasing the Android CEM/VGM PIN with orbit subscription package ($325) if I were to use it for a Polestar 2. I wouldn’t just be able to pay for Orbit alone ($100) as I don’t have the PINs and don’t have a current VIDA subscription?
Thanks!

That is correct. To do Volvo/Polestar config you have 2 things you need: some software to do it (I recommend OrBit of course!) and you need the PINs that allow access to the parts of the car needed to do it. However you go about getting those PINs is OK, but you need them.

I don't cover all the ways to get PINs around here, I offer the options that you can do with the same equipment used for OrBit (Windows laptop and adapter). I get all kinds of customers, some already have their PINs, some get their own, and some buy the PIN service. Some of my customers are shops that have the hardware tools to remove the CEM from the car and read the PIN from it. 

It's good to remember the PINs you need, they are static for the life of the car, so that is only a one time thing to do, once you have the PINs you have them. With OrBit you always get the PIN(s) to record for yourself, even if you decide you hate me later and use some other tool with your car you will already have the PINs. With the newer Android cars needing the VGM PIN, this is something needed even for some diagnostics functions. Being a DIY "right-to-repair" advocate myself, I would want to have at least that PIN for any future diagnostics of my own car!

That's more information than you need or asked for, I just wanted to answer it in a way that covered anyone else with the same sort of question happening by this thread ;-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: DIY CEM (and VGM) PIN Retrieval for Volvo and Polestar - by Power6 - 07-09-2023, 06:42 PM