Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How does OrBit config affect OTA updates? Will my car get blocked?
Questions come up from time to time, on how OrBit config interacts with OTA updates, and if your car can get blocked. The safest advice has been to "Restore OEM" before accepting an OTA update. That is always the safest thing to do.

We now have enough acquired knowledge to give a better idea of how these things play together. Note always there is a disclaimer that Volvo can change anything at any time without consulting me, this is just to the best of our knowledge currently (May 2023)

Sensus: Sensus updates are only maps and Sensus apps updated OTA. There is no worry of OrBit config being present when you accept updates. Sensus app updates do update the software list in VIDA for the car, with the part numbers of the updated app(s) but no config is sent up or compared.

Android: OTA updates are more extensive here covering the AAOS system and flashing some modules. Like Sensus it has been found there is no worry of OrBit configs being present when an OTA update is accepted and installed. Config is not sent up or compared in the OTA update process. However modules can be flashed as part of an OTA update, including the CEM so *note*: running an OTA update, sometimes includes a flash of config files to the CEM, which can wipe out any OrBit configs. You can use OrBit to change config items back to the settings you like of course. Just be aware that running an OTA update may wipe the OrBit configs until you set them again. The effect of an OTA update wiping OrBit config is exactly what happens when you run "Restore OEM" process in Orbit.

This does not apply to updates installed through VIDA!(Not OTA) Always "Restore OEM" before the car is connected to VIDA, if at all possible.

Messages In This Thread
How does OrBit config affect OTA updates? Will my car get blocked? - by Power6 - 05-16-2023, 01:49 AM