Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XC60 retrofit - seats, steering wheel, battery
As most of other folks around here, I have a car that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and I'd like to change that.
I've got a few questions that have been asked by others on Reddit and swedespeed in the past, however some of those are several years old now, well before OrBit (and are therefore vaguely answered or had a stance that retrofits in general rarely work or that it's better to just buy another car), so I am hoping someone can answer these:

1.) Does anyone know if seats and steering wheel from XC40 are the same as on XC60? I've read someplace that apparently all seats are the same on SPA (I know for a fact that it wasn't the case on P3), but I don't remember ever seeing info regarding steering wheels (I'd like to retrofit a heated steering wheel)
2.) Are the steering wheel clock springs and modules still required to do a heated steering wheel retrofit? (For P3, Accessories offered it as option for retrofit by dealer, and there it clearly said what was required, and for SPA I get nadda.)
3.) What is required in order to install seats with memory, ventilation and massage? I've read someplace that even though cables might be there, there's a good chance that main witing harness may be significantly different, thus making a retrofit much more complicated and that much more expensive...
4.) Is it possible (and if it is, what is required) to do a MY22 DIM and infotainment retrofit?
5.) What is required to do a T8 battery upgrade? (Except battery itself, obviously.) Is it just a config change, or some other modules are required as well?
6.) How do you in general figure out what hardware is needed in order to do a successful and complete retrofit?
1) As far as I know, XC40 has a smaller steering wheel than XC60 / S60 
2)  Have a look at this  You will need the change the controller. 
3) You will need to find the seats with their controllers because the software within the seat controller modules are different than ones without those functions even if the part number are same. Second, the wiring is not there. VOLVO pre wires only some of the upgrades such as alarm movement sensor, rear door tweeter speaker connected to in parallel to woofer. 
4) Don't think so. Even if the connectors are same, the software is totally different. other ECUs won't be able to communicate with it unless somehow you manage to upgrade the software of all ECUs
5) No clue
6) Forums, self search in parts catalog and VIDA

Best of luck
Cool, thank you for the prompt reply!

Can you please tell me more about controller needed for heated seats? And is there an easier way rather than tapping into CAN cables and/or adding new wires in pre-existing connectors? How can one check if he/she got lucky and got the cables? As I've seen that "older" SPA models got some wiring for other stuff, which helped retrofit greatly while newer ones did not. (I think I remember seeing something about such case here on this forum few days ago, but I forgot what exactly did it talk about as I've read a lot of different things for the past few days and things got mixed up. Big Grin )
I'd like to know how to get to those instructions you sent under 2.), in order to find them myself for other things in future too, so I've been trying to recreate steps to get to these instructions you sent, but when I choose the same car, I don't get to see heated steering wheel as an option.
Search function with 'Heated steering wheel' query doesn't provide any results and googling is a hit or miss; so how did you pull it? Smile
(09-20-2023, 07:16 AM)Polestar Wrote: I'd like to know how to get to those instructions you sent under 2.), in order to find them myself for other things in future too, so I've been trying to recreate steps to get to these instructions you sent, but when I choose the same car, I don't get to see heated steering wheel as an option.
Search function with 'Heated steering wheel' query doesn't provide any results and googling is a hit or miss; so how did you pull it? Smile

Start from here. https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us
Select your car. This is the volvo official accessory addon page. After selecting your car, you can go into Installation Instructions by clicking on the three lines at the right top corner of the page.  Do not type anything and just hit enter. You will get all the possible installation instructions for your car even though same accessory sis not shown at the main accessory page . 
Here is all available instructions for 2019 XC60 T5. https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/...atic?query=
(09-19-2023, 11:04 PM)Polestar Wrote: Cool, thank you for the prompt reply!

Can you please tell me more about controller needed for heated seats? And is there an easier way rather than tapping into CAN cables and/or adding new wires in pre-existing connectors? How can one check if he/she got lucky and got the cables? As I've seen that "older" SPA models got some wiring for other stuff, which helped retrofit greatly while newer ones did not. (I think I remember seeing something about such case here on this forum few days ago, but I forgot what exactly did it talk about as I've read a lot of different things for the past few days and things got mixed up. Big Grin )

If I remember correctly, heated seats are part of climate control module (CCM). Each seat has it's own controller connected to heating pads, power from fuse box and LIN communication to CCM. I have heated seats at the front but not at the back. I explored the option of retrofitting factory heated back seats and it really wasn't worth the investment. 
You have 4 options. 
1) Cheapest, order generic seat heat and fit them into your existing seats. control them externally.  (cheapest)  around $100 USD for all parts (back and front) + labor you are done. 
2) Purchase the factory heating elements, controllers, seat climate button if you want back seats too, fit them into your existing seats. wire them to CCM, heating elements and fuse box)  expensive and hard work to put the heating pads into seats. finally enable from Orbit. 
3) Replace your existing seats with a factory heated ones from a junk yard. But you'll still need to do wiring to CCM, fuse box and enable from orbit.  (might end up more expensive than 2 above) 
4) sell your current car and buy a new one with factory fitted heated seats.
I just had a 2023 XC40 (plus trim I think) as a loaner for a month, and the seats were not the same as the ones in my 2019 S60 or other SPA platform cars I’ve driven. They felt smaller and not as comfy. It felt so nice sitting back in my S60 after a month! The XC40 also has a manual thigh extension adjustment- I’ve only seen power thigh extensions or non at all in the SPA’s. They still might fit in an SPA car, I’m not sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk