Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 XC90 Carplay - No option in Orbit
Hey There,

I'm a new Volvo owner (2016 T6 XC90), and love to tinker, so after chasing my tail with Vida and finding it's impossible to access even with a bulletproof VPN (VIN approval needed regionally), I've purchased Orbit with a CEM unluck which has been great.

I've unlocked adaptive cruise which is nice (but haven't tested it on the road yet), enabled permanent memory on start/stop (again awesome), however I was really hoping to get Apple Carplay going.

Within Orbit - there appears to be no option to enable Carplay, which I understand should be:
"224 - 04 - With Carplay & Android Auto"
That variable is just missing from the config list.

As a bit of context, my XC90 is Australian and appears to be one of the earlier ones, without the mode settings (next to handbrake) and only the single USB port with AUX to the console glove box.

Does simply ordering the double USB enable the carplay option I'm looking for or is it a waste of money to do this? I don't want to go through the effort/cost of ordering the double USB (and AUX) parts to find out that Orbit is still unable to unlock Carplay.

Does anyone have any idea why the option above isn't appearing?

Thanks.
2016 XC90 T6
(08-07-2023, 12:35 AM)Thiefsie Wrote: Hey There,

I'm a new Volvo owner (2016 T6 XC90), and love to tinker, so after chasing my tail with Vida and finding it's impossible to access even with a bulletproof VPN (VIN approval needed regionally), I've purchased Orbit with a CEM unluck which has been great.

I've unlocked adaptive cruise which is nice (but haven't tested it on the road yet), enabled permanent memory on start/stop (again awesome), however I was really hoping to get Apple Carplay going.

Within Orbit - there appears to be no option to enable Carplay, which I understand should be:
"224 - 04 - With Carplay & Android Auto"
That variable is just missing from the config list.

As a bit of context, my XC90 is Australian and appears to be one of the earlier ones, without the mode settings (next to handbrake) and only the single USB port with AUX to the console glove box.

Does simply ordering the double USB enable the carplay option I'm looking for or is it a waste of money to do this? I don't want to go through the effort/cost of ordering the double USB (and AUX) parts to find out that Orbit is still unable to unlock Carplay.

Does anyone have any idea why the option above isn't appearing?

Thanks.

You will need to install a USB hub with two USBs. Additionally, you will need to replace the cable to the USB hub.
Not sure if this will require VIDA to activate the hub.
Maybe just change 362 in Orbit to 03 With USB hub.
(08-07-2023, 02:15 AM)olen27a Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 12:35 AM)Thiefsie Wrote: Snip

You will need to install a USB hub with two USBs. Additionally, you will need to replace the cable to the USB hub.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe 362 was visible within Orbit either, hence I'm wondering if there seems to be some logic in Orbit (or the Sensus/Volvo system) that allows those configuration options to just appear if I install the USB Hub.

If anyone could confirm that would be great as I'd rather just save the money instead of ordering the parts and putting in the labour to only find out that the options still won't appear in Orbit.

I suppose that's a roundabout way of asking - Do the Orbit configuration options open up based on VIN or a sort of undertake a 'handshake' process with the car to check which flags are configurable??? It just seems a bit weird that if I install the USB hub Orbit would suddenly show those options whereas they were missing before - as Orbit seems to work on the basis that all options are there, and you can toggle them, but they may or may not actually work for real...?
2016 XC90 T6
(08-07-2023, 02:15 AM)olen27a Wrote: You will need to install a USB hub with two USBs. Additionally, you will need to replace the cable to the USB hub.

Nope! To have Carplay and AA activated you do not need USB hub and second USB port. The only thing is 224 - 04 - With Carplay & Android Auto. Checked, tested, used, working! Wink
(08-07-2023, 01:26 PM)R1maS Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 02:15 AM)olen27a Wrote: You will need to install a USB hub with two USBs. Additionally, you will need to replace the cable to the USB hub.

Nope! To have Carplay and AA activated you do not need USB hub and second USB port. The only thing is 224 - 04 - With Carplay & Android Auto. Checked, tested, used, working! Wink

Yeh, that's why I'm wondering why Orbit doesn't have those configuration options at all for my car - is the ECU/CEM just not able to do it or something? I had the understanding any XC90 SPA model can do Carplay but my car seems to be showing me otherwise.

If it's relevant I am getting these VCM errors:
VCM:
U21501 - UTC Time not set- General Signal Failures- Signal stuck low
U122B - BM circuit short to ground- General Electrical Failures- Circuit short to ground
U122C - BP circuit short to ground- General Electrical Failures- Circuit short to ground
U1051 - WLAN Module- - General electrical failure

Perhaps I have a faulty VCM contribiting to this problem?
2016 XC90 T6
Yes, looks like your VCM is foulty
Carplay was available on the 2016 cars. Androind auto officially called for the double USB hub hardware and then there were two software packages that needed to be installed to the car. One to actiavte the hub and one to enable Android Auto.

The hub config is 362:03 in my car. I did the official software loads via Vida.

I think if you set 224 to 02 you should be good for just carplay. Setting to 04 might work, but I assume the android phones used more power, so the need to install the hub and run a separate 5amp circuit to power it.

When was the last the car a Total Upgrade was applied?
I can talk with reasonable authority here as my journey to get AA on my MY16 XC90 was what started this whole thing. 

No hub / 2 x port is required - single world fine for both Android and iOS devices with charging

224 is the only setting you need to change. 

Software loads on Volvos for the most part and in this case are exclusively byte changes in the CEM there is no actually software load or application install. All functions exist in the cars already and it’s just enablement. 

Strange if this does not show as an option for you because OrBit is reading from the CEM nothing else really matters. Tried displaying all and seeing if it’s there instead? Might need to do a bit more troubleshooting on this one.
Alright I'll have another look with Orbit when I get some time over the next day or so and take some screenshots for you.

I sourced a cheap USB double kit so that's on the way also - but sounds like that's somewhat unnecessary for Carplay regardless.

I might have to investigate the VCM errors although it seems I'm up for thousands to repair that particular problem (! ouch).
2016 XC90 T6
(08-09-2023, 12:01 AM)Thiefsie Wrote: Alright I'll have another look with Orbit when I get some time over the next day or so and take some screenshots for you.

I sourced a cheap USB double kit so that's on the way also - but sounds like that's somewhat unnecessary for Carplay regardless.

I might have to investigate the VCM errors although it seems I'm up for thousands to repair that particular problem (! ouch).

Hi there,

Interested to know how you went on with installing your USB double kit. I also have a 2016 XC 90. I've had the software installed by the local dealer through their VIDA system. This was before I did anything with the single USB port. From my research I was confident it would work with Apple CarPlay as from what I read the second port is only required for android auto. However, if you only have a single port your iphone will not charge.

I am in the process of installing the double USB kit as I wanted to have the phone charging and the kit was a fairly cheap price and the install looked reasonably straightforward. I have got to the last point of the install where the cable needs to be plugged into, the fuse box cable but the lead does not fit into the socket of the plug. Wondering if you've had any issues with this last step (step 46 on page 25)? Cheers Greg.

See link - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/M...9-9999.pdf