Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retrofit T8 Brakes - 345/320mm to 366/340mm
I wouldn't mess around with breaking system just for the looks.  I might have considered it if OEM upgrade from factory was available. 
There are so many things can go wrong with electronically controlled brakes with so many different sensors and dependencies.  I don't think it worth the risk, one simple random fault is enough to turn your life upside down.
(05-01-2023, 06:03 AM)Liven Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 05:51 PM)Power6 Wrote: I don't think we will get to know what is changed with the config changes, it would be deep in the BCM or VDDM unit programming. But going logically...the brake system can account for a lot of variables, owners will change tires, brake pads etc. over the life of the car and each tire or brake pad is a little bit different. It does help the system to be tuned for the "torque output" of the brakes, the BCM has pressure sensors to sense the input to each circuit, and it is programmed knowing the expected torque output (how much "stopping") for the input pressure. It can adjust on the fly as the system is monitoring wheel speed sensors and calculating the tire slip % constantly feeding back into the program. But still it helps if the system starts off knowing the expected parameters. This would be a good reason that Volvo might have one overall "ABS/ESP" programming but have i read the config and adjust the system for which brake system is fitted. There are other things like the system calculates (i.e. guesses) at the temperature of the brake discs, it would need to know which rotors to be accurate about it. (FYI the underlying need for adjustment is: changing only the rotor size, and the caliper position, and not changing anything else, that changes the torque output due to increased mechanical leverage so Volvo using the same caliper on the 366mm does change the pressue-torque relationship of the brakes)

I should have tried the settings for sure, and I will! However I did brake development before all this software stuff. My brake kit is carefully designed to maintain very close to the torque output of the OEM brakes. On the 366mm the output is almost exactly matching the output of the 345mm OEM brakes. So there isn't really a need for me to change it, it's designed to work as a direct swap. I suspect it's a subtle at best adjustment, hardly anything one would consciously notice. If it works, I will try and see.

Those flashy aftermarket brakes...there is no setting that will adjust for the awful "engineering" on those lol. No other kits match the OEM system very closely, other than StopTech and probably a Brembo GT kit. The factory V60 Polestar brakes are essentially a Brembo GT kit on the car as OEM.

I'm already get the Brembo GT kit (Polestar version) when i change setting to 6 piston option,but shows abs function fault,it can drive like normal and break feels good than before,just lost autohold function.Finding solution to solve it....

You might need to do the ABS reset / learn after this. Same as if you make changes to Pilot Assist. 
Worth a try. I
I've tested changing the brake settings. It looks like the 19" FN+, or the BR19 (Polestar Brembo) settings for front brakes don't take, the BCM has a persistent config error. The setting for the 340mm 18" rear brakes will take without errors though. Who knows what it does but now my car is 'adjusted' for them, we'll see if I can tell any difference, probably not!

That's on a non-hybrid with the BCM, my 2019 S60 T6. The only models with the 19" front brakes, the ATE or Brembo, are hybrid models with the brake by wire BCM2. So it's pretty likely the BCM was never "programmed" for the 19" brakes, so doesn't take the config. No idea why it has no problem with the 18" rear brakes but that one works.

(05-01-2023, 06:48 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I wouldn't mess around with breaking system just for the looks.  I might have considered it if OEM upgrade from factory was available. 
There are so many things can go wrong with electronically controlled brakes with so many different sensors and dependencies.  I don't think it worth the risk, one simple random fault is enough to turn your life upside down.

There is kind of two types of owners...those who want flashy brakes and don't care about messing up the system. And those too scared of messing up the system to put on a brake kit. Too bad I made a brake kit engineered proplerly for those who don't want to mess up the system lol, there aren't many buyers. Oh well though, I like them and they are awesome.
(05-02-2023, 11:00 PM)Power6 Wrote: I've tested changing the brake settings. It looks like the 19" FN+, or the BR19 (Polestar Brembo) settings for front brakes don't take, the BCM has a persistent config error. The setting for the 340mm 18" rear brakes will take without errors though. Who knows what it does but now my car is 'adjusted' for them, we'll see if I can tell any difference, probably not!

That's on a non-hybrid with the BCM, my 2019 S60 T6. The only models with the 19" front brakes, the ATE or Brembo, are hybrid models with the brake by wire BCM2. So it's pretty likely the BCM was never "programmed" for the 19" brakes, so doesn't take the config. No idea why it has no problem with the 18" rear brakes but that one works.

(05-01-2023, 06:48 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I wouldn't mess around with breaking system just for the looks.  I might have considered it if OEM upgrade from factory was available. 

There is kind of two types of owners...those who want flashy brakes and don't care about messing up the system. And those too scared of messing up the system to put on a brake kit. Too bad I made a brake kit engineered proplerly for those who don't want to mess up the system lol, there aren't many buyers. Oh well though, I like them and they are awesome.

I do agree with you! Before I became a father, I wouldn't hesitate to dive from 35 feet without even checking how deep the water was and wouldn't think twice to floor the pedal and see speedometer at the end. But now, it's a different story. I admit I turned into too scared type :-)
The reason I am looking into this is that I have had issues with uneven pad wear/warped rotors and the rears are the latest culprit after a long road trip with a cargo box on the roof and a cargo container in the hitch. So I want to replace and figure, why not go bigger. However, since I use Pilot Assist so much, I want everything working properly. Interesting that the front config wont take. I might just need the backs upgraded anyway to solve my issue so I will start there. I will report back once Ive had time to gather parts and install.
(05-03-2023, 06:02 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I do agree with you! Before I became a father, I wouldn't hesitate to dive from 35 feet without even checking how deep the water was and wouldn't think twice to floor the pedal and see speedometer at the end. But now, it's a different story. I admit I turned into too scared type :-)

This related to one of my design goals with my brake kit: "will I put my family in this car?"...and I do. Every choice I made was with that in mind. Everything done so that I would feel good about handing over a kit to another fellow Volvo owner who will drive with their family in the car, and I still sleep soundly ;-) It caused some major pain and expense but I am glad i did it that way.

(05-09-2023, 04:47 PM)glennda5id Wrote: The reason I am looking into this is that I have had issues with uneven pad wear/warped rotors and the rears are the latest culprit after a long road trip with a cargo box on the roof and a cargo container in the hitch. So I want to replace and figure, why not go bigger. However, since I use Pilot Assist so much, I want everything working properly. Interesting that the front config wont take. I might just need the backs upgraded anyway to solve my issue so I will start there. I will report back once Ive had time to gather parts and install.

You will have no issues, config change or not. It will all work just fine. Change the pads though (you probably will anyways) the Volvo OEM pads are what causes the warping of the rotors.
(05-02-2023, 11:05 AM)x119 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 06:03 AM)Liven Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 05:51 PM)Power6 Wrote: I don't think we will get to know what is changed with the config changes, it would be deep in the BCM or VDDM unit programming. But going logically...the brake system can account for a lot of variables, owners will change tires, brake pads etc. over the life of the car and each tire or brake pad is a little bit different. It does help the system to be tuned for the "torque output" of the brakes, the BCM has pressure sensors to sense the input to each circuit, and it is programmed knowing the expected torque output (how much "stopping") for the input pressure. It can adjust on the fly as the system is monitoring wheel speed sensors and calculating the tire slip % constantly feeding back into the program. But still it helps if the system starts off knowing the expected parameters. This would be a good reason that Volvo might have one overall "ABS/ESP" programming but have i read the config and adjust the system for which brake system is fitted. There are other things like the system calculates (i.e. guesses) at the temperature of the brake discs, it would need to know which rotors to be accurate about it. (FYI the underlying need for adjustment is: changing only the rotor size, and the caliper position, and not changing anything else, that changes the torque output due to increased mechanical leverage so Volvo using the same caliper on the 366mm does change the pressue-torque relationship of the brakes)

I should have tried the settings for sure, and I will! However I did brake development before all this software stuff. My brake kit is carefully designed to maintain very close to the torque output of the OEM brakes. On the 366mm the output is almost exactly matching the output of the 345mm OEM brakes. So there isn't really a need for me to change it, it's designed to work as a direct swap. I suspect it's a subtle at best adjustment, hardly anything one would consciously notice. If it works, I will try and see.

Those flashy aftermarket brakes...there is no setting that will adjust for the awful "engineering" on those lol. No other kits match the OEM system very closely, other than StopTech and probably a Brembo GT kit. The factory V60 Polestar brakes are essentially a Brembo GT kit on the car as OEM.

I'm already get the Brembo GT kit (Polestar version) when i change setting to 6 piston option,but shows abs function fault,it can drive like normal and break feels good than before,just lost autohold function.Finding solution to solve it....

You might need to do the ABS reset / learn after this. Same as if you make changes to Pilot Assist. 
Worth a try. I
Already do that,but nothing change,also lock the car and wait 15 minutes.I think my v60's ABS pump is different with v60 polestar...
(05-14-2023, 02:02 PM)Liven Wrote: Already do that,but nothing change,also lock the car and wait 15 minutes.I think my v60's ABS pump is different with v60 polestar...

Any DTC showing?
(05-14-2023, 02:02 PM)Liven Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 11:05 AM)x119 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 06:03 AM)Liven Wrote: I'm already get the Brembo GT kit (Polestar version) when i change setting to 6 piston option,but shows abs function fault,it can drive like normal and break feels good than before,just lost autohold function.Finding solution to solve it....

Worth a try. I
Already do that,but nothing change,also lock the car and wait 15 minutes.I think my v60's ABS pump is different with v60 polestar...

Depends what V60 you have...all PE models are T8 PHEV and have different brake system than ICE models. PHEV have "brake-by-wire" electro-hydraulic (Continental C1) system, ICE models have a traditional hydraulic brakes with supplemental ABS unit (Continental Mk100)

I don't think the ICE models will take the config for the Polestar Brembo brakes, since there is no Volvo built in that combination.
I configured my XC90 for the FN+ 19" brakes and it accept the programming and I do no get any errors. I did have to perform a manual ABS Config reset. Maybe some of the cars have the programming and others do not.