Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New windshield - now having driver support errors
I see but if your original seats did not have any cam bus connection, disconnecting the new controllers from the can bus should be enough no? rather than changing the whole seat or the controller for that matter.
Yes this sounds logical. I think we did that, not sure of the sequence of the technician actions at the end of the trouble shooting session, we were in a rush. I have since then relocated to south of Spain, I’ll give the local dealer here a try.
(09-24-2023, 08:58 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Have a look at this.   the part number is same for all models and not like headlight controller, I don't think they have a different software from factory similarly ACC and PA are within the BSM (hydraulic unit). If Volvo installs different software version for each feature on a shared part across models, changing the config from orbit wouldn't enable the ACC / PA on a car that did not have from factory. 

You have to be careful here in assuming that by looking at replacemement parts catalogs. To use the example of the HCMs, if you look up the replacement part number, it is the same for all cars. But Volvo BUILDS the cars with different parts. Presumably, they save cost at the factory with a cheaper part for the "non-bendy" headlamp cars, and then they save costs on carrying 2 different replacemement parts by selling only the "bendy capable" version replacement, since the customer pays for that part, they don't care about cost so much. 

With the HCMs though, it's only a hardware difference, the same software is used, same diagnostic part number, to VIDA either of those HCMs are the same.

I don't know the case of the PSMD/PSMP since I haven't dealt with it, other than I know a fellow who swapped to the ventilated/massage seats in a 2022 XC60, and VIDA don't like his PSMP/PSMD now. The originals are physically missing a connection that is needed so there was something different in that case requiring the swap.

But that doesn't matter for this case I guess, sounds like a completely different situation, car did not have PSMD/PSMP originally!

(09-24-2023, 09:22 PM)HitTheRoadJack Wrote: You are correct, same PSM for all but the low-end seat I had didn’t have any control unit at all, the half electric are without a CAN bus connection.
The air bags here don’t come with seats purchased from the scrap yard, you switch in your own healthy bag.

For swapped modules, if you connect VIDA with the different module, it gets found in the readout, part number and serial number are updated for the car. If you swap "back" and connect VIDA, the readout will find the current module again, part number and serial number will be updated. 

I know if you *add* a module, that too gets found by VIDA and added. What I don't know, is if you remove that module, does it get removed from the list when VIDA doesn't find it. I should test this, I have added the IMS to my car. If I get to test VIDA and read my car out with that module disconnected, I will report back here what I find, is it removed from the list or not...
Thanks man - it would be beneficial when talking with the dealer to have kind of an idea of the result if the module, when not found disappears from VIDA.
(09-26-2023, 04:46 PM)Power6 Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 08:58 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Have a look at this.   the part number is same for all models and not like headlight controller, I don't think they have a different software from factory similarly ACC and PA are within the BSM (hydraulic unit). If Volvo installs different software version for each feature on a shared part across models, changing the config from orbit wouldn't enable the ACC / PA on a car that did not have from factory. 

You have to be careful here in assuming that by looking at replacemement parts catalogs. To use the example of the HCMs, if you look up the replacement part number, it is the same for all cars. But Volvo BUILDS the cars with different parts. Presumably, they save cost at the factory with a cheaper part for the "non-bendy" headlamp cars, and then they save costs on carrying 2 different replacemement parts by selling only the "bendy capable" version replacement, since the customer pays for that part, they don't care about cost so much. 

With the HCMs though, it's only a hardware difference, the same software is used, same diagnostic part number, to VIDA either of those HCMs are the same.

I don't know the case of the PSMD/PSMP since I haven't dealt with it, other than I know a fellow who swapped to the ventilated/massage seats in a 2022 XC60, and VIDA don't like his PSMP/PSMD now. The originals are physically missing a connection that is needed so there was something different in that case requiring the swap.

But that doesn't matter for this case I guess, sounds like a completely different situation, car did not have PSMD/PSMP originally!

(09-24-2023, 09:22 PM)HitTheRoadJack Wrote: You are correct, same PSM for all but the low-end seat I had didn’t have any control unit at all, the half electric are without a CAN bus connection.
The air bags here don’t come with seats purchased from the scrap yard, you switch in your own healthy bag.

For swapped modules, if you connect VIDA with the different module, it gets found in the readout, part number and serial number are updated for the car. If you swap "back" and connect VIDA, the readout will find the current module again, part number and serial number will be updated. 

I know if you *add* a module, that too gets found by VIDA and added. What I don't know, is if you remove that module, does it get removed from the list when VIDA doesn't find it. I should test this, I have added the IMS to my car. If I get to test VIDA and read my car out with that module disconnected, I will report back here what I find, is it removed from the list or not...

Well, I talked with a former VOLVO technician, used to for in VIDA development.  

"In general, VOLVO does not want owners to replace a faulty ECU or module that has an installed software and actually controls stuff with a used one. such as HCMs."  Replacement ECUs or modules comes blank from manufacturing and many ECUs (part numbers) are shared with many cars (model and year).  Each part has two numbers (part # diagnostic #) build in into the chip. When VIDA detects a new blank HW, it checks if the diagnostic and part numbers of the replacement unit is within the range of the acceptable HW catalog assigned to vehicle's VIN. If it is, VIDA allows to order reload. If it  is not, gives an error  ' not computable"  

After the software is installed on the blank ECU. (VIDA reload)   Here is the tricky part, ECU writes the vehicle's VIN into its memory.  VIDA updates the vehicle's info (latest HW serial, diag. SW numbers) in VOLVO's db after ECU reload is completed and VIN is written.  That's how VIDA knows if owner replaced the ECU with a used part or not. (It checks the VIN number in ECU if it matches to car's VIN) 
Even if you find and replace a used part that has same DIAG, same SW numbers, VIDA will not reload it or do a total upgrade although the replacement used ECU works perfectly fine because the VIN in the ECU does not match to car's VIN. 

The VIN number of the car is written to memory of the ECU during each reload. 
Some ECUs allow rewriting the VIN in their memory after each reload and some don't.  ABS, SRS and ECU (engine control unit) don't rewrite the VIN number only ones. ""

He did not mention at which stage of the ECU reload the VIN is written to memory. Maybe part of the SBL is deleting and rewriting the VIN, I don't know.  
Another point, VOLVO does not care about the used parts if the replacement used part does not actually control anything. Such as sensors. (movement sensor, foot sensor). 
So, in the case of Alarm movement sensor retrofit, I don't think it would even detect it because "movement sensor" should be set to factory default prior to connecting to VIDA.  Like wise, Before I knew Orbit existed, I connected FOG lights to CEM, could test them from VIDA. (turn on/ off) and yet VIDA still did not recognize them. I had thought I could purchase a fog light SW from vida.  But know, after enabling it via orbit, if I disconnect one of the fog lights, I get warning message " FOG light faulty, go to service"
Great input- All this information about the inner workings of SPA vehicles and VIDA is important for us users to know about, where are the boundaries for tweaking the configuration. Hopefully this community will over time become a valuable source of this information.
Any chance tapping into if none compatible modules, removed disappear from VIDA?
Great news is the calibration eventually went through after 4300 miles (7000 km) ! Suddenly one day all the safety warnings were gone :-)
While we were troubleshooting I think I saw some limit of a 1000 try’s , maybe it was calibration try’s and eventually settled for what it had achieved :-) Anyway happy days are here again.
I haven’t done the total upgrade yet and now the calibration problem sorted out I’m not in that of a hurry.
I have added back the B&W amplifier and the updated R-Design seats are now reconnected to the CAN bus, however I’ve added a switch so it’s easy to cut the connection going into a Volvo shop.
[Image: 7ab0a572c614f705634bf3f79d2dbd07.jpg]
I’ll update you eventually how it goes doing a total update with seats disconnected and original amplifier in place. This in theory should be enough.
Hey glad that finally worked and nice work on the rest!

I know I am way late seeing some of the earlier conversation, but many of the less critical modules do not have the VIN of the car written to them. The AUD does not, the HCMs do not. The compatibility of parts with VIDA is managed by the diagnostic number. And in the case of added modules, the mere presence of the module that would not be in the car as original. It's a smart move to make a switch to turn the added module off.

Returning to "compatible with VIDA for software updates" is a matter of:
  • remove/disable any added modules
  • swap any modules with different diagnostic part number, back to original
  • do nothing with swapped modules with same diagnostic part number as original

In your case, you are correct, if you disable the PSMD/PSMP and swap the B&W AUD back to original, you are compatible with VIDA to install a Total Upgrade.
No problem - good advice - thanks