Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown/emergency service from Volvo no access to orbit
(06-05-2023, 09:45 PM)BeachBoy Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 09:30 PM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:31 PM)Power6 Wrote: Currently the "emergency service" process is:
  • Let the dealer take the car

That's it. Currently Volvo does not block cars, from configuration changes made by OrBit. This is due to the way OrBit works, it doesn't change the "variant codes" of the car, and that is what Volvo is looking at to see if it has been modified. 

The reason why I always reccomend "Restore to OEM", is we don't want to give Volvo a reason to start looking for those changes. And there are also some quirks, unlikely as they are, that could be found leaving the config changes when you go to the dealer. Or maybe the Tech is losing his mind when you have menu options the car shouldn't have ;-) So it's best to avoid the whole situation.

But if you are stuck, you can just bring the car in. Most likely nothing will come of it. 

*****That's the end of that

Even blocking is not the end of the world, if it does eventually come to that. Volvo doesn't like config changes. They block the car from loading software if it's modified, and then make you go through their process to get unblocked. I've been through it, it's a bit of a pain but ultimately they are just checking the car, make sure it is original and then unblock. I have changed my stance on this, they are being pretty reasonable. They don't want to support taking cars "out of spec" and any non-official accessories/configurations. 

My story was getting the car unblocked last month (from long ago before OrBit!) and the dealer fixed an issue under warranty in the same visit. I have not heard Volvo is doing anything more than "blocking" like "voiding warranties" and other scenarios one could make up in their mind ;-) But this is an open thread so anyone that has a bad outcome, feel free to share!

I really don't know how EU Volvo handles this configuration. Maybe they don't care or don't know
Audi, Bmw never had an issue with changing things. Sweden has to be different...
Hum are you sure about that? I have heard horror stories but that might have been only for jb4 and other tunes

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
That is a little different. Here, in Germany, there are some laws regarding that. TUV is very strict when it comes to this due to emissions and road safety (same emissions they tried to rig). Its still safe if its done officialy
But doing what we do with OrBit, for the other manufacturers, is not an issue (from what I know, experienced and read online). Maybe there are some cases but fairly isolated.
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
(06-05-2023, 09:45 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: Hum are you sure about that? I have heard horror stories but that might have been only for jb4 and other tunes

You may not have been replying to me. But I think tunes and piggybacks, that is as it always is. If you got a warranty issue, it will be handled as they do with regards to modifications that may have caused the issue rather then a defect, which is what the warranty covers. Volvo is probably less strict on this just due to the likelihood of owners to modify. My buddy with an Audi S4 got the dreaded VAG "TD1" flag on his car from a scan at the dealer, good luck getting anything drivetrain related warranted with that!

For config, I have seen some things...I try to keep up with what is going on with other mfrs from time to time. In some cases BMW has done something like blocking a car. It seems more extreme cases though, they have different concepts of modifying a "config" type thing, vs changing the "build string" of the car which is tricky. Kinda like VDash or such vs OrBit in a way. I think the issues they have are the same, just different attitudes about changing minor settings up to fitting different equipment to the car, and how their system supports it, or doesn't.
If I make an official configuration change via VIDA, for example, I change my "tyre Dimension" ID:017. How does Orbit update my stored profile so that when I hit Restore to OEM it will have the new version?

Also, Orbit recently asked me to "Update Profile" What does that do?

Thank you!
My car had a Frankenstein config (did not remember what was changed).
Hit update profile
Then revert to OEM

Went to dealer. Everything was back to standard (no hitch, no dogs with high beams, etc).

Now I have to re-sent my desired config.

I'm curious also about official update, I almost got the dealer to install my hitch software officially but they wanted $180, no way I'm paying that I'll wait for my next VIDA subscription