Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Camera Retrofit?
I said e-mail me man!! J/k BeachBoy ;-)

I think I understand what you are on about now, you swapped the "new" emblem in front (one for the radar sensor badge) and thinking about how to fix the camera skew/angle? It does seem like the camera view "fixing" is probably inside the WAM software, programmed for the expected cameras to generate the proper views. (Side note I kinda think them BMW ones where it "skews" the camera views to show you a view "from outside the car" from "inside the car" are rather neat!!)

Let me know if I got that right. In Volvo, generally any used module, of a type that is not "married" to the car (not VIN locked or part of immobilizer etc.) you should be able to simply swap it in and see what happens! The used module will be loaded with software and should work in the car. Barring any unknowns. But example of this case is the AUD stereo amp, there are settings for the stereo type, but the module itself, as a module in the car, just works in the car when you swap it in.

The possible complications is this can be an module that if you leave it in the car for a dealer visit, will produce and "incompatibility" problem. I don't know this case, but again in the case of a swapped AUD module, it works just fine, even without changing config. But the problem comes when you try to say load a Total Upgrade, VIDA will fail to generate it, with an error "incompatible hardware". If that were the case, you'd be in a position you need to swap that module before any dealer visit or VIDA session. That's easy with the AUD, but I am not sure how that figures on the WAM.
I believe WAM is under front seat.

I'll see what happens at dealer but since there is no orbit change the can't block me for swapping an unpaired module! the only thing would be that I swapped WAM and want them to see if it can register to the car... But since it's not compatible officially that might not be doable.

First thing is swap module and see if I still have 360 view (and not skewed)

$187... hope it works!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You won't get any trouble for a swapped module beyond what I mentioned above, where the module is a different 'type' of sorts that makes it incompatible with the car in some way, not that it doesn't work but that Volvos central system doesn't consider it the correct "compatible" module, which would only be a problem when you go to order a "Total Upgrade" and you get an error about incompatible module. It's an uknown situation though, I've only seen this where the module doesn't match the config, and due to blocking risk, can't play around with the VIDA system as much to see what is what ;-) Is there a config item for which type of front cam? Or a config item for windshield vs grille mounted front radar?

Most modules don't need any registration to the car. Critical/security related ones do, CEM/ECM/BCM/VCM/TCAM/VDDM those are the ones off the top of my head, where there is immobilization data, security or registration with other ECUs. WAM probably doesn't fall into that.

I just added the "IMS" module to my car, the interior motion sensor for the security system. It just plugged in and worked, allows the config to be changed to enable "with motion sensor". With the car restored to OEM and connected to VIDA, the IMS shows up added to the hardware/software list in the readout. I'll check back since I am paranoid heh but the car was not blocked, I loaded software.

What are the part numbers of the 2 different WAM modules?
2019+ one is 32281512
<2018 is 31680061

Swapping mine tomorrow

@Power6, I can't find camera calibration in OrBit, was it added or you need help with sniffing the VIDA command when triggering the calibration?

I am stuck with a quite bad 360 view now. Worse than when I just swapped the front camera
(05-13-2023, 12:27 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: @Power6, I can't find camera calibration in OrBit, was it added or you need help with sniffing the VIDA command when triggering the calibration?

I am stuck with a quite bad 360 view now. Worse than when I just swapped the front camera

Yup, OrBit does not have the cam calibration. That and the RADAR calibration I should probably add. The command I think is not hard, I may already have the info. Are you aware of the process, what needs to be done, anything manually in addition to kicking off the calibration? I know you emailed me, I am catching up, I will head over there and see what you say ;-)
For the 360 view/camera it's a slowmo drive (5-45kmh) and defined as per attached vida instructions

[Image: becb38f98e97828c93734eeb17072807.jpg]
[Image: 98890af464a73d2df5254a7f874dd3af.jpg]
[Image: d4a33ca0bd955f1ccca1704bfac1d76e.jpg]
[Image: 4ce65a3e3515363afd74bbfb47b22bcf.jpg]

For the radar it's mor involved. I don't have the VIDA instructions but it's likely like this video where you have to be above 60kph, with road signs and now following a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTx-REw2Lg

Sounds promising. 

Just bought myself a WAM, mirrors and some oem cables. As it's official not possible to snip the LVDS cables, you can buy full lengt ones from the dealer. Door wirings are the same according to VIDA.

All LVDS cables (V60): 

A total of a whopping: € 845.86 Exculding VAT and excluding discount.

Wam only needs CAN and power. (And to all camera’s and ihu obviously) It is on the same can lines as the SODL and SODRs.

Connector for power and can: 31268300 with 30656669 pigtails.
A1 BK/WH ground
A2 White CAN
A3 Green CAN
A4 BU/YE 12v
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
WAM works here! 

Now I need to find the rest of the stuff. 

There are still two small cables missing from the door sil to the cam itself. 

Also the WAM is not visible in Orbit. Even after a restart.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options