Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laggy Transmission - "Hesitation" at low revs / low gear
(06-05-2024, 01:48 AM)iceman_jkh Wrote: Thanks!

I was also wondering if any of those scanners/tools could allow me to get the CEM PIN for my 2020 XC40 (noting there's other steps/tools also needed - eg: wireshark, etc.)

None of the scanners can get the CEM pin of a VOLVO. The scanners can read from ECUs and more advanced ones can send commands to ECUs similar to Orbit's ECU tools TAB. 
CEM pins are used to put ECU to programing mode with an SBL file. 

Even if you buy or rent the scanner and read the data from TCM. Most likely you will not be able to fix it yourself. There is huge amount of data to over view, cross check and analyze, without the advance knowledge it is less likely you will be able to figure it out yourself. 

It's true even $10 dongles can collect some real-time data but that does not mean it can read the TCM and get what you need to analyze.  
Yes, I used torque pro, it's leggy and it does NOT provide diagnostic realtime data from TCM.  It only collects some info such as (RPM, TEMP, Boost, VACUUM ) from ECM. 

So, my advise; take the car to a service you trust or first research what kind of data you need in order to diagnose your specific problem and then look for a scanner that can actually provide the data you need.  

FYI there are 40 different live parameters on VOLVO TCM and 6 different diagnostic sequences.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be worth finding out if the car has latest software volvo did lots of changes on gearbox/engine to improve driveability, in UK this has to be taken to a dealer for them to update in the US they have online access so don't know if you can do it your self.
Thanks IMAY and Chris. 
I can confirm the car has the latest software.
I also learnt that they don't have a scanner that does 'everything' so they weren't actually able to reset some of the settings (eg: relearn shift point). FFS... why didn't they say that to start with. sigh.

I'll probably go for a Veepeak as the cheapest option and spend the money saved by going to a Volvo mechanic who at least has all the tools.