Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XC40 Recharge interior lights retrofit
Brick 
Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a MY24 XC40 recharge P5 for almost a year now and simply loving it!

My only "complaint" about it is that because of the urgency to get a new car (previous diesel Peugeot broke down unfortunately) I had to get what was available and for a cheap price. Therefore, the "Essential" trim was offered to me, which is basically the bare minimum of the XC40 (not even back up camera or front parking sensors ?).
Now, coming from a Peugeot which I had previously upgraded by myself (thanks Covid free time!) to be absolutely all options, including options from abroad that Peugeot didn't offer in France (crazy marketing, but yeah), it was a bit of a "shock" to go to almost no options.

Now, my project, and this thread will be specifically for that:
Retrofitting interior mood lights
  • Front door card lights - including the ones at the bottom when door is open, the door pocket, and the door trim
  • Central tunnel - including the one for the wireless charger, the armrest, and I'd perhaps try to do something custom for the cupholders
  • Rear door card lights - I believe they basically had no mood light, but I think it's a pity that the front has all these lights and the back doesn't have anything, so I'll be doing something about that
  • Trunk lid - there's a spot for a light on the trunk lid to have some light on the ground when the lid is open, but it's blanked out and there is a connector behind which doesn't have any power to it
  • Door handles - these have lights with the keyless entry
  • Rear seats light - ongoing, already got everything needed, just need to cut a hole in the roof liner and push wires through to the front light

Now, here are my questions, because in order to do this "small" project, I need some information
  • Does anyone know where I can basically find all the electrical drawings for this? I was able to find this thread: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=455
    The issue with this drawing is that it's very generic and it doesn't really show me exactly all the wires, how they go through the car and where each connector or interconnection is. For example, for Peugeot, some people managed to crack the manufacturer software and this one has lots of details: if I click on a connector of the drawing I have a detail of each pin, what kind of electrical signal goes through it and where it goes to upstream and downstream.
    I have tried removing the door cards to inspect, and unfortunately, there are no connectors waiting to be used, however, I did see the door control module next to the wiper motor which I believe does all the job for the lights in the doors.
  • I did find an unused white connector at the level of the wireless charger (next to the 12V plug) which I think is for the mood lighting around the wireless charger. Can anyone confirm this?
    However, there is no power to it, I believe because my car has the setting for "MID" instead of "HIGH" in the mood lighting
  • Does anyone know where I might find the other unused connectors, if they are present?

Finally, for the hardware part, I can deal with it quite easily: I have 3 3D printers (yes, 3 of them, that's not a typo) and a 3D scanner which will be very helpful in designing many of the missing mood lighting features as well as custom features.

Thank you everyone!
[Image: MEUNIAM_o.jpg]
(07-13-2024, 03:08 PM)iGeorge3 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a MY24 XC40 recharge P5 for almost a year now and simply loving it!

My only "complaint" about it is that because of the urgency to get a new car (previous diesel Peugeot broke down unfortunately) I had to get what was available and for a cheap price. Therefore, the "Essential" trim was offered to me, which is basically the bare minimum of the XC40 (not even back up camera or front parking sensors ?).
Now, coming from a Peugeot which I had previously upgraded by myself (thanks Covid free time!) to be absolutely all options, including options from abroad that Peugeot didn't offer in France (crazy marketing, but yeah), it was a bit of a "shock" to go to almost no options.

Now, my project, and this thread will be specifically for that:
Retrofitting interior mood lights
  • Front door card lights - including the ones at the bottom when door is open, the door pocket, and the door trim
  • Central tunnel - including the one for the wireless charger, the armrest, and I'd perhaps try to do something custom for the cupholders
  • Rear door card lights - I believe they basically had no mood light, but I think it's a pity that the front has all these lights and the back doesn't have anything, so I'll be doing something about that
  • Trunk lid - there's a spot for a light on the trunk lid to have some light on the ground when the lid is open, but it's blanked out and there is a connector behind which doesn't have any power to it
  • Door handles - these have lights with the keyless entry
  • Rear seats light - ongoing, already got everything needed, just need to cut a hole in the roof liner and push wires through to the front light

Now, here are my questions, because in order to do this "small" project, I need some information
  • Does anyone know where I can basically find all the electrical drawings for this? I was able to find this thread: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=455
    The issue with this drawing is that it's very generic and it doesn't really show me exactly all the wires, how they go through the car and where each connector or interconnection is. For example, for Peugeot, some people managed to crack the manufacturer software and this one has lots of details: if I click on a connector of the drawing I have a detail of each pin, what kind of electrical signal goes through it and where it goes to upstream and downstream.
    I have tried removing the door cards to inspect, and unfortunately, there are no connectors waiting to be used, however, I did see the door control module next to the wiper motor which I believe does all the job for the lights in the doors.
  • I did find an unused white connector at the level of the wireless charger (next to the 12V plug) which I think is for the mood lighting around the wireless charger. Can anyone confirm this?
    However, there is no power to it, I believe because my car has the setting for "MID" instead of "HIGH" in the mood lighting
  • Does anyone know where I might find the other unused connectors, if they are present?

Finally, for the hardware part, I can deal with it quite easily: I have 3 3D printers (yes, 3 of them, that's not a typo) and a 3D scanner which will be very helpful in designing many of the missing mood lighting features as well as custom features.

Thank you everyone!
The wiring diagrams does show the signal type and the connector number and the pin number. The power, LIN and CAN are on separate pages. But yes, it won't show the location of the connectors. You just need to fallow the wiring from the controller / light.  
TIP: search for the module names, connector numbers. It should find the relevant pages.  

For the wireless charger.  On XC40 it is on the same LIN as the Airborn particulate sensor (under the climate unit next to the inside cabin air filter). The middle pin on the sensor.  Even if you replace the whole center console with the new wiring of it,  on the car's main harness connector " where the center console harness connects" most likely you don't have the corresponding power and LIN  PINs and wiring.    

Regarding the lights on the door. 
They are all controlled by the door control module. In most cases, the inner harness on the door has the wiring but not on the trim harness. You will need to replace the door trim panel harness anyway for the lights.  

Door handles with the lights.  They are are also controlled by the door module but not sure if the connectors and wiring exists on your door's inner harness.
(07-13-2024, 08:06 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: The wiring diagrams does show the signal type and the connector number and the pin number. The power, LIN and CAN are on separate pages. But yes, it won't show the location of the connectors. You just need to fallow the wiring from the controller / light.  
TIP: search for the module names, connector numbers. It should find the relevant pages.  

For the wireless charger.  On XC40 it is on the same LIN as the Airborn particulate sensor (under the climate unit next to the inside cabin air filter). The middle pin on the sensor.  Even if you replace the whole center console with the new wiring of it,  on the car's main harness connector " where the center console harness connects" most likely you don't have the corresponding power and LIN  PINs and wiring.    

They are all controlled by the door control module. In most cases, the inner harness on the door has the wiring but not on the trim harness. You will need to replace the door trim panel harness anyway for the lights.  

Door handles with the lights.  They are are also controlled by the door module but not sure if the connectors and wiring exists on your door's inner harness.

Thank you for the feedback!

Just taking it point by point:
  • Indeed, the drawings do show most details. I have found the page for the door light in this example below, but I do have some questions:
    [Image: MEUNMIT_t.jpg]
    Circled in red, do those codes tell me the connector and pin number on the connector?
    Circled in green is a curious area for me, because I see this a lot: because there's 2 wires in parallel. Do these refer to the trim level? I see written ILLMID and ILLHIGH, which I'm guessing is short for "Illumination Mid/high". So does this mean that if I have the Illumination set as "MID" in the CEM, that power output should work to turn on the light?
    It is silly questions but I'd rather make sure before I short the wrong circuit and fry my car ?
  • For the wireless charger: my mistake, what I meant was the ambient light around the wireless charger. I already do have the wireless charger installed.
    And therefore my question was regarding the white connector around the 12V plug, which seems to be for the mood lighting there, but it has no power
  • Door trim harness: yes, there is no harness available for the lights at all, and I won't bother replacing it, I will create the missing harness myself. The price of the used harness is just as (if not more) expensive as a new one, and buying it will cost me so much that I should've just gotten the option when buying the car.
    Hence all my questions regarding the electrical drawings, because I'll be cabling all this myself. I already found the part number for the 3-pin green connectors used in the small lights in the car (which was a headache to find)

Thank you!
(07-13-2024, 09:00 PM)iGeorge3 Wrote:
(07-13-2024, 08:06 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: The wiring diagrams does show the signal type and the connector number and the pin number. The power, LIN and CAN are on separate pages. But yes, it won't show the location of the connectors. You just need to fallow the wiring from the controller / light.  

Thank you for the feedback!

Just taking it point by point:
  • Indeed, the drawings do show most details. I have found the page for the door light in this example below, but I do have some questions:
    [Image: MEUNMIT_t.jpg]
    Circled in red, do those codes tell me the connector and pin number on the connector?
    Circled in green is a curious area for me, because I see this a lot: because there's 2 wires in parallel. Do these refer to the trim level? I see written ILLMID and ILLHIGH, which I'm guessing is short for "Illumination Mid/high". So does this mean that if I have the Illumination set as "MID" in the CEM, that power output should work to turn on the light?
    It is silly questions but I'd rather make sure before I short the wrong circuit and fry my car ?
  • For the wireless charger: my mistake, what I meant was the ambient light around the wireless charger. I already do have the wireless charger installed.
    And therefore my question was regarding the white connector around the 12V plug, which seems to be for the mood lighting there, but it has no power
  • Door trim harness: yes, there is no harness available for the lights at all, and I won't bother replacing it, I will create the missing harness myself. The price of the used harness is just as (if not more) expensive as a new one, and buying it will cost me so much that I should've just gotten the option when buying the car.
    Hence all my questions regarding the electrical drawings, because I'll be cabling all this myself. I already found the part number for the 3-pin green connectors used in the small lights in the car (which was a headache to find)

Thank you!

The red circles are the pin numbers on the controller. 
The two parallel lines in the green area represents the different trims. There are no two wires connected to the same pin.  The ground is shared where you see all lines join on a bold circle sign.  "93/1_334"  if you search for it, it should find you the page where it shows the location of the ground connector on the car. It really does not matter from where you take the ground.   On the lines you have the color codes and the thickness of the wire in millimeters. Example:  Grey with orange strips with 0.35mm radius for power from the module. 

The lights on the door takes the power from the door module.  CEM sends signal to the door module to turn on/off the power.  As long as you do not connect the controller pins directly to ground, you won't short it.  In addition, even if you connect the lights to the door module, they wouldn't work without the proper CEM configuration.  CEM wouldn't send signal to door module to turn on. 

The number 94/554 is the door trim panel harness connector and the ":#" represents the pin number on the connector.  So,  " 94/554:8"  is the PIN 8. 

I do not have xc40 nor wireless charger on my s60.  it might the lights for the cup holder..
(07-14-2024, 05:02 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: The red circles are the pin numbers on the controller. 
The two parallel lines in the green area represents the different trims. There are no two wires connected to the same pin.  The ground is shared where you see all lines join on a bold circle sign.  "93/1_334"  if you search for it, it should find you the page where it shows the location of the ground connector on the car. It really does not matter from where you take the ground.   On the lines you have the color codes and the thickness of the wire in millimeters. Example:  Grey with orange strips with 0.35mm radius for power from the module. 

The lights on the door takes the power from the door module.  CEM sends signal to the door module to turn on/off the power.  As long as you do not connect the controller pins directly to ground, you won't short it.  In addition, even if you connect the lights to the door module, they wouldn't work without the proper CEM configuration.  CEM wouldn't send signal to door module to turn on. 

The number 94/554 is the door trim panel harness connector and the ":#" represents the pin number on the connector.  So,  " 94/554:8"  is the PIN 8. 

I do not have xc40 nor wireless charger on my s60.  it might the lights for the cup holder..

Thanks, it's all clear now! So the drawings do have all the information I need (and even more, because it gives me colour AND wire size, whereas Peugeot just gives a code printed on the wires and the wire didn't have any colour logic, except for ground), just in a less interactive way, but that's still good!
I'll now go forward to test and see which outputs actually work and don't.
I agree with you that most of them will be turned off in the CEM, but I'm still hopeful some are actually working but not wired.

Pretty much the only mood light I have in my XC40 is the front footwell lights that are dimmed at night and of course full on when the door is open, and that's pretty much it
So, after doing some checking on the car, here are the good and the bad:

The good:
  • The drawings are indeed correct for European XC40s and I did find everything to be coherent with my car, including wire color and sizes
  • I did identify where the various lights for the driver door should've been connected
The bad:
  • None of the light outputs work, they are indeed disabled by software unfortunately

It seems the next step is to buy Orbit, crack the CEM and VGM PIN and then start coding.
I was hoping some of them would work without coding so I don't have to revert back to original whenever I bring the car in, just for mood lights
I did this some time ago on my 2019 S60. Volvo generally has 3 "levels" of interior lighting, in the config of the car. If you have OrBit connected (I know you don't have it currently) you can see Item 183 values for "base", "mid" and "high" as the values that apply.

I took my car from "mid" to "high" which involved very similar process on the S60, install: door pocket lights, puddle lights, rear footwell lights, rear overhead reading lights with the "RGB mood LED" in them. I simply bought the interior door panel harnesses (which is all that was needed) since I was lazy. A note on the harnesses: Volvo built my car without the extra plugs for the "high" level illumination. All replacement parts though, are the version of the harness that has all the plugs, so one part can be used on any of the cars.

I was just as disappointed as you...I discovered that the lights did not work. The config must be changed, or the outputs are not enabled. Then I created OrBit ;-) 

Not all were the same case though...rear footwell lights were missing the power feed to the seat harness (but bracket to hold the LED and the wires are in the seat), which is tied to the front footwell lamps inside the CEM anyways, so I tapped the front footwell LEDs for those, no coding needed. The rear overhead light units also work without coding, the added "mood LED" lights worked. Config was needed to be set to "high" illumination in order for the menu to appear and let you change the color though (which worked along with the existing overhead "mood LED" up front, which is already in the car with "mid" level lighting).

May not be exactly the same as the XC40, but general overview of how it's done. You need OrBit to enable the higher illumination level...
Indeed, I saw your thread on swedespeed!

I also checked my configuration (via your competitor's software which allows just free checking of current configuration) and my setting on Item 183 was "MID". Now, what seems weird however, is that I checked the power output for a light (for example puddle light) which had the "MID" part written on the wire, there was no light.

Good sales pitch for Orbit though! Nah, I'm kidding ?
I will eventually bite the bullet and buy it whenever I'm ready with the wiring. For now, I'm preparing the wiring, and also trying to find a way to avoid the extra cost of CEM/VGM PIN decoding (sorry ?)