OrBit Forums
Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - Printable Version

+- OrBit Forums (https://forums.spaycetech.com)
+-- Forum: Configuration Items (https://forums.spaycetech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Retrofitting (https://forums.spaycetech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. (/showthread.php?tid=595)

Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - oleelstad - 09-08-2024

Hello. 

I recently bought a few front seats from a Volvo S90 2018 model thinking I would put these in my patrol. Having worked with seats from earlier cars etc I thought this would be straight forward. However that is not the case.  Dodgy

Added a picture of the seats in mind. 

Is there a way to get these seats to be standalone? I can run the motors etc for up, down, forward and backward by connecting straight too the motors. But using the buttons seems impossible. I have tried connecting +12V, GND and a signal to the blue/white cable which I've read somewhere is the "activate signal", that did not work however. 

As far as I am aware there is no memory function on the passenger seat, but this could be a option on the main seats. I do not need these functions. 

I am thinking that the controllers are integrated in the seats but maybe they need a canbus signal to activate? Does anyone know?

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - x119 - 09-08-2024

They’re definitely on the Canbus. Example: From the drivers seat I can control the passenger seat using ‘Gentleman Mode’. 
I think, and somebody will confirm, seat control is associated with the door control module.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - IMAY2023 - 09-09-2024

(09-08-2024, 03:48 PM)oleelstad Wrote: Hello. 

I recently bought a few front seats from a Volvo S90 2018 model thinking I would put these in my patrol. Having worked with seats from earlier cars etc I thought this would be straight forward. However that is not the case.  Dodgy

Added a picture of the seats in mind. 

Is there a way to get these seats to be standalone? I can run the motors etc for up, down, forward and backward by connecting straight too the motors. But using the buttons seems impossible. I have tried connecting +12V, GND and a signal to the blue/white cable which I've read somewhere is the "activate signal", that did not work however. 

As far as I am aware there is no memory function on the passenger seat, but this could be a option on the main seats. I do not need these functions. 

I am thinking that the controllers are integrated in the seats but maybe they need a canbus signal to activate? Does anyone know?

The VOLVO seats have seat controller units under them that are CAN bus units.  Pin 29 is Can Low and Pin 30 CanH.  It has two power inputs. (constant and battery saver. )  The buttons on the side are LIN slaves connected to the seat controller uses the same battery saver positive input. 
If you wire the seats correctly to power and ground, they should work. CAN bis units do not need CAN signal to turn on unless a standby "sleep" command is sent from the CEM.  As soon as you power them up they should work.  here is the link for the wiring.  The page you need is "front seat comfort"  https://forums.spaycetech.com/attachment.php?aid=335   If those seats are massage, heated and cooled, those three options will not work because the heating and cooled unit receives LIN massage from CCM. Massage option sends CAN signal to CEM and CEM to center display to bring up the menu on scree.  You can though feed the heating and vents with the same power source and switch.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - oleelstad - 09-09-2024

I have tried putting +12V to Pin 1, 3 and 16  and GND to pin 6 which should be all the required places in regards to the schematics page 99, but they are still not working.  Undecided

Guess I will have to figure out if the canbus system send the seats a message to activate.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - IMAY2023 - 09-12-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:02 PM)oleelstad Wrote: I have tried putting +12V to Pin 1, 3 and 16  and GND to pin 6 which should be all the required places in regards to the schematics page 99, but they are still not working.  Undecided

Guess I will have to figure out if the canbus system send the seats a message to activate.

Have you check if the control buttons on the seat are getting voltage? 
In general the seat controller needs to send turn on LIN signal to the control buttons on the side.  I can send you all the CAN BUS messages of my S60 2019 once the knob is turned active then you can build an Ardeuno board to replicate those massages, one of them should turn the damn thing on.  You'll also need to add 120 ohm resistor to close the loop.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - oleelstad - 09-13-2024

(09-12-2024, 11:15 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(09-09-2024, 02:02 PM)oleelstad Wrote: I have tried putting +12V to Pin 1, 3 and 16  and GND to pin 6 which should be all the required places in regards to the schematics page 99, but they are still not working.  Undecided

In general the seat controller needs to send turn on LIN signal to the control buttons on the side.  I can send you all the CAN BUS messages of my S60 2019 once the knob is turned active then you can build an Ardeuno board to replicate those massages, one of them should turn the damn thing on.  You'll also need to add 120 ohm resistor to close the loop.

That would be amazing. Big Grin I have a ECU in my car that can send custom canbus messages so I was hoping I could use that for this purpose. Smile

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - Liqwood - 09-15-2024

(09-13-2024, 05:58 AM)oleelstad Wrote:
(09-12-2024, 11:15 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:

That would be amazing. Big Grin I have a ECU in my car that can send custom canbus messages so I was hoping I could use that for this purpose. Smile
Very interested to see how this turns out my project is extremely similar, please post any updates you have.  Thanks!

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - IMAY2023 - 09-16-2024

Sorry for late response, 
change the extension to csv. Then you can open it with excel.  TIP: set the format of the cells as text.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - Liqwood - 09-16-2024

[quote pid="4759" dateline="1726207089"]

[/quote]

Have you tried just hooking up the Canbus Hi-Lo wires to a canbus node?

I was reading the BMW forums on how people have activated their seats and all they did was hook up a ESP32 + Can bus module and power and once there was another node on the network the seats woke up.  Now to use memory and heat you would have to send some messages but basic functions should work.. hopefully.

RE: Volvo V/S90 front seats retrofit/standalone. - IMAY2023 - 09-16-2024

Each car is different and have different CAN BUS networks and operates in different speeds. 
VOLVO SPA cars have three of them. 
CEM + Driver Seat + Passenger Seat + Driver door module + Passenger door module + CCM operates in 500kbps 
CEM + ABS + SRS + BLIND SPOT and etc. 
Diagnostic CEM + OBD + VCM 
Depending on which network you want to capture, you tab the CAN high and CAN low to that network. 
I tabbed into comfort CAN trying to capture a specific massage for the rear seat cooling vents.  My goal is to capture that massage and send it from a remote control. I retro fitted ventilated and heated seats. I can turn on / off the rear heated seats from the factory button but cannot turn on / off rear vents. (missing panel).